Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

Re: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

Just proving that 'always' and 'never' are words that cannot be used in reference to WILDlife behaviour or dining habits.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by souwester View Post
    Show me a BC study NOT AMERICAN ,where a bear population model has "prey biomass" as a factor in the equation.

Show me a chart that with a linear curve that proves bear populations are directly related to ungulate populations From a reputable BC scientist or wildlife tech.

How come on the mainland coast in areas of high bear density both grizzly and blacks co -exist fine with blacktails and populations only seem to crash when wolves disperse into areas?
    How come there was success in increasing blacktail densities in the Nimpkish area on Vancouver island when a wolf program was implemented?That Area has high bear density.
    A BC study on bear predation should be done and mpotzolds hunting area of MU's 5-3 and 5-4 would be a good place to start.
    A moose study is already underway in the Big Creek area and wolf predation has been identified as one of the factors removing adult cow moose.
    The cow/calf survival ratio has been noted.
    One of the points noted in the study so far is the low percentage of young cow moose.
    Is the combination of both bear predation on the calves and the upswing in wolf numbers in that area what is slowing the recruitment of young breeding age moose.
    I think that's the case and a bit more time will tell the story.
    This past spring some complete pack wolf removal was done in a portion of MU 5-3 in efforts to boost a struggling California bighorn sheep population.
    It will be interesting to see if removing these wolves to help the sheep also gives the moose a boost.

Interesting thread, shows without a properly funded model, and science, we won't get anywhere.

62 posts on HBC won't help change that, 62 meetings with MLAs would......
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Interesting thread, shows without a properly funded model, and science, we won't get anywhere.

62 posts on HBC won't help change that, 62 meetings with MLAs would......
    I got one tomorrow morning....now that we've got MLAs again!

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Good Kill another Predator down ! RJ

I hunt blackies every year from April 1st until I get one. Every weekend I can afford I'm out there. Friends wanna hang out drink beers have bbq's nope not until I get my first bear. Now that I have one I'll relax a bit until may long. Oh wait that's this weekend hehehe. I also think two deer and 3 bears would be fine maybe have a 2 in the spring one in the fall limit. SS

I don't think there really is a need for more studies,Is there even an up to date data set for bear and or moose populations in any MU in region 5?
    How about the first nation groups associated with the wildlife stewardship group hammer the provincial government about ungulate populations ?
    Isnt that organization a part of this new Wildlife Group that's been announced?
    As far as I'm concerned resident hunters can blast all the bears they want and it isn't gonna fix the moose problem.
    Go ahead and educate me or prove me wrong.
    No offense to curly top ,I understand why u created this thread.

I don't know if there's a need for *more* studies, because I don't know how many we have already. Exposure to a few of the bios who are studying wildlife in this part of the world leads me to believe that we aren't taking as much advantage of knowledge that we have as we might do. However, if we do not have a data set for Region 5 or any MU therein, as souwester asks, it seems fair to say we need one.

We may need to work with FNs, but they aren't going to take care of us - that's on us alone.

We need more science based knowledge or we'll never effectively counter anti-hunters.

(None of that means shooting more bears will solve the problem, I admit).
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I live on Vancouver Island and I'd sure like to get into wolf hunting, but I'm not sure how to do it. Cougars require dogs, or $$$$ for a guide so that's out. If anyone on the island has any wolf hunting tips please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I don't know if there's a need for *more* studies, because I don't know how many we have already. Exposure to a few of the bios who are studying wildlife in this part of the world leads me to believe that we aren't taking as much advantage of knowledge that we have as we might do. However, if we do not have a data set for Region 5 or any MU therein, as souwester asks, it seems fair to say we need one.

We may need to work with FNs, but they aren't going to take care of us - that's on us alone.

We need more science based knowledge or we'll never effectively counter anti-hunters.

(None of that means shooting more bears will solve the problem, I admit).
    well put as per normal.

The fn will not take care of us, but we do have a common goal: to have enough game to support productive hunting. In this vein we could form a powerful bloc to advocate habitat enhancement as well as predator reduction.