Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

Re: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

Curly the cougar season to have any effect on population needs to focus on females..current regulations as they stand protect females.Cougar are managed for high populations in BC.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Theres some recently released data out of Alaska that solidly states that "bears are bigger killers than thought" when it comes to moose and caribou calves.
    In a 3 year study (2011-2013) where 7 bears carried camera collars and GPS trackers data was compiled.
    During the critical calving period, more than half of these bears meals came from moose and caribou calves, 20% from vegetation and 12% from adult moose. Snowshoe hares, waterfowl and other bears were also protein.
    "Overall, the bears killed an average of 34.4 moose and caribou calves in 45 days.
    One bear was credited with killing 44 calves in 25 days while another killed just 7 in 27 days.
    So once again, we are faced with conflicting data.
    BV

I just taught a Bear Aware course this week where I had some Bio's and techs attending, including a Large Carnivore/Bear Bio. We got around to discussing the Alaska study and what they are now looking at, in BC, Yukon and Alaska is it a genetic thing, learned or just the odd chance with the bears.

Lots more to look at than just 7 bears.....

I think we will never really know the who or how or why, but in the end, ungulates and bears have been getting along a lot longer than we have been studying them.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

It's worth mentioning that when Clayton Lamb was directly questioned on whether his data disproved the conception that bears whack a ton of calves he said something pretty close to "The data we collected in our area didn't show that, but that's one data set from one location and one study" - in other words, he was not making any sort of argument either way; he was just presenting the data. He was just showing the data that they had collected. On many fronts it was a very interesting and informative presentation.

And, yeah, I have contributed and hope to contribute again!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Shoot a mid/high elevation non garbage bear, that isn't near salmon and the meat should be fine...why wouldn't you shoot a wolf or coyote??
    The main reason. They remind me of dogs.

It all started when I was still a teen surveying mining claims in the remote Yukon wilderness. A FN guy in the next door tent camp stole a wolf pup near Pelly River & we watched it grow. The pup behaved similar to a dog except for the ravenous appetite. It was also a 1 man dog. They even took him for a helicopter ride in the mountains.

I have approached more than a few wolves while hunting & even had a staring match with a huge wolf from less than 100 feet. It was like meeting a huge German shepherd. No problem.

Was surrounded by a large pack while staying in a doorless shack near Germansen. They were after 2 moose.

Stayed in Whitehorse for a while in the 60's & it seemed like every yard had part or a pure wolf in it.

I have also walked up to coyotes & will have to dig up some old photos.
    We even named one of our favourite hunting roads REX ROAD. Eve named the handsome & very large coyote REX that we saw at least a couple of times. Have a photo somewhere.

You know you're in the wilderness when you hear that melancholy sound of the wolves howling.

And from my experience the bears not the wolves are a major reason for the declining game numbers.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 05-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    BV

I just taught a Bear Aware course this week where I had some Bio's and techs attending, including a Large Carnivore/Bear Bio. We got around to discussing the Alaska study and what they are now looking at, in BC, Yukon and Alaska is it a genetic thing, learned or just the odd chance with the bears.

Lots more to look at than just 7 bears.....

I think we will never really know the who or how or why, but in the end, ungulates and bears have been getting along a lot longer than we have been studying them.

Cheers

SS
    SS, I get what you're saying.
    Personaly, I don't think every bear is a calf eater. I beleive killing ungulate calves is an acquired habit for some bears but not all.
    The ones that are really good at lapping up calves more than make up for the grass eaters.
    A well respected predator hunter told me that if a bear starts out in the spring hunting fresh meat...that's his diet.
    From what I've seen this statement pretty much holds true.

Some may not eat calves but I know when Im fishing lakes June Ist. Im not without my rifle. Seen numerous bears chasing cows and calves. Why do Cow Moose have their calves close to water or on islands? Scent cover and an easy escape route I believe. Moose swim much faster than bears. We've saved a few over the years. Not big bears either surprisingly. Just my opinion. Studys may prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    The main reason. They remind me of dogs.

It all started when I was still a teen surveying mining claims in the remote Yukon wilderness. A FN guy in the next door tent camp stole a wolf pup near Pelly River & we watched it grow. The pup behaved similar to a dog except for the ravenous appetite. It was also a 1 man dog. They even took him for a helicopter ride in the mountains.

I have approached more than a few wolves while hunting & even had a staring match with a huge wolf from less than 100 feet. It was like meeting a huge German shepherd. No problem.

Was surrounded by a large pack while staying in a doorless shack near Germansen. They were after 2 moose.

Stayed in Whitehorse for a while in the 60's & it seemed like every yard had part or a pure wolf in it.

I have also walked up to coyotes & will have to dig up some old photos.
    We even named one of our favourite hunting roads REX ROAD. Eve named the handsome & very large coyote REX that we saw at least a couple of times. Have a photo somewhere.

You know you're in the wilderness when you hear that melancholy sound of the wolves howling.

And from my experience the bears not the wolves are a major reason for the declining game numbers.
    Gotcha............

guest Guest

Last spring 2016 Near end of May, buddy and I went to the Silmilkamen area, spending time scouting areas and looking for a good BooBoo. I've always wanted a nice Cinnomon phase B Bear.
    We were pleased to see two new born calf moose so freshly outa their mom that their legs still shook. So cool, what a great sight to see in such a hard hit area. Bear scat was everywhere, we didn't attempt to get close to stress the cow or calves as they had enough challenge on their own in the low temperatures as newborns and a number of Bears through out the area.

we headed out for another area, I had a few different high powers to put some lead through and bring to zero so we set up at buds favourite range in a logout. With targets set at 25 and 100 yards, we took several shots over some time. Not trying to talk quiet as we put the last gun away, not five minutes after the last of several loud shots, a big fat doe, that looked preggers came out of the near bush line. She walked throughout the shooting area and right under the 100 yard target, not caring a dam of our presence. As she did a half circle and looped around behind us not more then 60 yards ..... A loud snap came from the area she first had appeared. It was a decent Cinnomon B Bear, he followed her path through the clearing, sniffing and covering ground every where the doe had gone. I mean Every where, we assumed she was ready for birth, as she was like a barrel, and he went everywhere she had traveled. Wow, he was covering ground quick as I readied for a shot at my first Colour phase Bear. I bawled at him in attempt to stop him, he continued ...... I bawled like a Bear louder and he stopped in his tracks and looked up directly toward me, and dropped dead ...... Didn't move a twitch.
    What a sequence of events ...... There was no doubt in our mind, he was after that doe. Maybe her water had broke, maybe he senced she was ready for birth. Who knows, but he followed her every move. The doe was still behind us when the smoke cleared from the rifle haha ...... Waving a Thankyou ...... I'd like to think, she headed off to have her fawn or fawns in peace.
    Hes a beautiful coloured Cinnomon Bear, I had him tanned, but not not rugged. Beauty! He wasn't huge, just over 5 1/2 feet, but a real fatty, he'd been eating very very well indeed. Tough for us two ol cripples to even get to the deactivated road, only 60 yards away.

What at an experience to share with a good friend, we still laugh about the entire show ...... Couldn't believe it, still shaking our heads over that one. Ya never know when your going to be rewarded with a prize to be remembered for a long long time. Very cool share together. Made some terrific sausages of three different types and smoked hams.

Delicious!

SSS will share a pic later as my computer skills are brutal ...... Thanks SSS

CT
    Last edited by guest; 05-12-2017 at 09:50 PM.

For Curly top....

https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Yotes do a lot of damage just due to their numbers.....but all preds do their part.

Here's one from this past winter.

https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....