Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

Re: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Hard to see but this was a face to face with a juvenile cougar....at 15 ft we had a stare down.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Previous posts r in support of what Curly Top is trying to say.
    There is an abundance of preds out there.

We, as hunters, mostly take from only one side of the ledger.

I've taken 2 bears in the last few years. I not a huge fan of the meat as roast or steaks but I got a bunch made in to bear cheese smokies at Sumas meats. Delicious and the wife loved them too. I've taken this spring off from bear hunting just cause I got a kid due in a few weeks and I'm not allowed to go to places without reception. This fall or next spring I'll get back out for bears and try and get one for smokies.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

I like to shoot them when they are feeding on berries in the fall, blueberry fed black bears are the best eating!! Honey Garlic pepperoni is good when made with bear meat too.

guest Guest

Great vids Ourea, thanks for the share!

Wow! Incredible Kitty action! Some excellent footage !

Black Bear pepperoni is some of the best I've eaten. Reminds me that my stash is dwindling.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Just a comment on FD's post. I would think predation correlations in ungulate sign in bear scat would be a tough one to nail down with any conclusive authority on "numbers killed". Simply because so much predation can take place in such a short period of time. Also, I'd assume bears are apt to frenzy killing, similar to a weasel in a hen house and therefore not eat(or even feed on) every calf/fawn they kill.
    I'm pretty sure they eat every calf they kill.
    A newborn calf moose would be an appetizer for a large grizzly much the same as a plate of ten chicken wings for a human. Lots of bones and a bit of tasty meat then time for more.
    A rancher friend of mine showed me a picture of a horse he lost to a grizzly that would rival the size of the grizzly Ourea posted. In one sitting the bear ate most of the front shoulder, the ribs, the hind quarter from one side and all of innards. He then showed me a picture and video of the bear from a 1000 yards out. Huge would be an understatement.