Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

guest Guest

Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

So, with so many of our Deer, Moose and Elk populations going in the tank......

Do you do your part and help by hunting spring Black Bear? Or do you just carry a B Bear tag in the fall while hunting your favourite ungulates? Or do you even hunt B Bear at all?
    Do you apply for spring Grizz? Or just apply for fall G Bear while hunting other species, or not apply at all?

Bear do make for some terrific eating, various sausage types, roasts chops, hams. That said, myself I will not harvest a fish bear, if I want the flavour of fish, I'll catch a fish.

Ive taken a number of Bears over the years but have turned some focus onto spring Bear hunting in the past few years. It gives us more time in the great outdoors, we learn our areas more intimately, helping us learn more for hunting fall ungulates ...... And most notably help out our ungulates by taking out another predator. The ungulates enemy.

Do you take out a Yote or Wolf when given the opportunity? I do and have when ever given the chance.

Ive never hunted Cougar, but given that I'm planning on hunting later in the seasons, I think that's another tag I need to add to my purchases. They also can be good eating .

Have at them predators folks, there another piece of the puzzle to be controlled to help grow more Ungulates, for the future and give us more opportunity in the long run.

CT
    Last edited by guest; 05-11-2017 at 10:43 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ungulate Saviors ...... Do you contribute?

I took a bear last fall. First one in over 15 years. Not sure why the giant gap in my bear hunting but it was absolutely awesome. I was sure hoping to get out this spring for a blackie but I am just 3 weeks post op acl surgery so I will be saving my tags for the fall. Good luck out there this spring.

Shooting bears is a good thing. Hope to get some kids out this spring.

Hunt Spring B Bear, usually get my one every year.
    Put in for Spring Grizz around here, haven't gotten drawn yet.
    Put in for Fall Grizz this yr up along the Muskwa/Tuchodi area, hopefully my luck changes..
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

I took a nice bear last weekend. Usually harvest 2 bearsa year and never pass on a dog

I love spring bear season, it's a great way to get out after the winter doldrums, all the fresh new growth is just awesome, it smells amazing, not to mention just the sheer amount of life that is everywhere during greenup. Bears also take a lot of fawns and calves so knocking down a ruin or two helps ungulates.

Id be in favour of upping the black bear limit. Only allowed to harvest 2 bears a year in the province but able to harvest 3 Deer? Seems backwards to me. Black bears. 2 in the spring, 1 in the fall. Why not?

I guess 3 bears a year also. 2 black and 1 Grizz. My correction

guest Guest

Great to see some serious contributors above. Good on ya guys.

not that I know the science of managing Cougar, when I see evidence from game cameras of friends with 3, 5, and even 7 Cougars in a group ...... It appears to me they are very very healthy populations in some areas. I think their season should start earlier and be long. It's obvious the impact they too are having and living healthy and large in our forests. They are extremely stealth, smart ....... It's rare for any Hunter to even catch a climpse of one never mind a shot.
    good on you hound boys doing your part on the Cats!