Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting up high/Backpack hunting

Re: Hunting up high/Backpack hunting

Good advice above.
    Make sure you make scouting trips in the summer months, not just to know how to get to your area and what's involved but to make sure your target species is there in decent numbers.

Scouting trips will also test your body and gear when less is on the line.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

You'll want to stay in your area until last glassing light and first thing in the morning so be worth it to stay the night . And like someone else said a decent mulie will be at least two trips to pack put all the meat plus your gear.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Backroads mapbook is also good for showing "some" hiking trails.
    A book on hiking in BC is also a good way to find trails as well.
    But, as others say...google or bing maps, and use elevation lines, that way you can see if some of
    the roads are close to the alpine areas.
    Good Luck...have fun.

Keep in mind also that you don't have to go too far to find yourself in some very nice alpine country. My hunting partner and I drive on average 1-1.5hrs and hike in rarely more than 2. We pick an alpine lake for cutthroat fishing and hike the ridges glassing bowls and meadows looking for alpine mule deer. We use google of course but have found many hiking guide books will get you into great hunting territory without the bushwhacking. Plus you can leave the trail behind once you get into the high country. Many of our provincial parks allow hunting, especially the ones that are more remote backcountry. I run into very very few hikers after summer ends leaving these spectacular areas to any hunter willing to make the trek in. Just make sure to check which parks allow hunting. If you're following a hiking forum online it'd be best not to advertise you're a hunter looking to use "their" trails. For a few months of the year I am a hiker with a gun.
    It can be done on a budget as well. Either buy used or just buy what you can afford and upgrade individual items as you can afford to. I think it's important to get as good, quality-wise as you can afford but it is more important to just get out there and do it. Start small, a couple of weekend trips for bear or mule deer. Find out what works for you gear-wise, what you need what you could get rid of before doing anything big. Keep in mind also that you are relying on that gear, so don't really cheap out and definitely don't go into the backcountry with worn out gear. The one item I would say not to go cheap on would be boots. Buy better boots then you think can afford, good boots last a long time and there is nothing that will ruin a hunt faster then cold, blistered, sore feet.

Safety:
    -leave a note/map where you are going and when you'll return.
    -if no cell service then if you can afford a delorme or spot buy one
    -know basic first aid, you dont need an extensive kit if you know what your doing
    -be prepared for the weather and know how to start a fire in bad conditions, to many people buy the mag fire sticks but dont practice how to use them.
    - decent quality tent and sleeping bag I dont scrimp on as they are my emerg shelter if shit hits the fan and I need to be warm and dry

Area:
    -google earth is good but it is misleading if your not used to it. What looks good on GE could be a nightmare when you see it in person
    -give your area some time when glassing/scouting it, if you find an open meadow/basin I would stay the night and glass till dark and hen again at first light, old or new rubs/sheds/beds etc.. are you after a big deer or a nice average buck...?

Gear:
    - your gear doesnt have to have a dried up lizard on the chest to make this all work
    -youll need a pack (internal or external) that can handle the weight of your gear plus meat coming out.
    -I said this before a decent mulie buck will push 120 plus lbs of meat, that'll be two trips as you'll have 30 lbs or so going in for a night or two, so bank on 100lb pack out.
    -stay dry and warm and dont pack extras.. look at your gear for what you need not what you think you may need.
    -boots are huge, people buy good boots but only walk trails with them, ..its the side hilling with weight on your back that will start the blisters...if you start feeling hot spots then stop and take your boots off, put on moleskins or duct tape.
    -optics are obviously big, i wont get into this as im sure you already know to buy the best you can. hunting thick timber then not a big deal
    -i like hiking poles, it holds my duct tape and electrical tape and helps my knees on the way down the hills.
    -GPS, can download when you get home to see where you on GE. I use a Garmin 62s and have been using it for 8 or 9 years and its been 100% there for me

Have fun....this is the best type of hunting to get away from the crowds. its 90% mental when solo backpacking...squirrel's move in the night and you may start think of the last horror movie you watched with your family..lol...bring ear plugs..

just my 2 cents on this, Its the best hunting you'll do.....

Cheers, Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

My advice listen to Rob and Jtred....

Not sure if this is basic knowledge that most people know? But contour lines on a map (elevation) the tighter they are stacked the steeper the slope, so if your looking for accessing a mountain, you want where they are spread out the furthest. Also you can use the contour lines on a map marked on a piece of paper and transferred onto a scale to visually see the slope or to figure if you can see from point "A" to point "B" but remember to add a tree height to the estimation. IF you have no idea what I'm talking about type in "Cross section mapwork/mapping" into youtube and watch a few videos. Any other questions feel free to PM.

One morning I woke up to a grouse on my tent lol, I am usually tired by the time I get into my sleeping bag, so sleep is not an issue with all the night sounds. Biggest thing is mental prep for solo trips, I have had a few hunting buddies that love the idea of mountain hunting but they always back out. When it comes down to it, they just get scared of sleeping in a tent so far from the safety of a truck or travel trailer. If your serious about it you will be mentally prepared and have useful gear. After a couple of trips you will know what gear you will need to keep, what to leave at home and what to upgrade. You got all summer to scout trails and game, have fun exploring and don't risk anything that you can't handle when solo.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

Amazing feedback, thank you all.

I'm relatively new to hunting larger game but have a good deal of experience stumbling around the back country, specifically
    mountains. Two seasons of a good deal of bushwhacking & climbing with a couple almost shots.... thoroughly enjoyed every outing despite coming home empty handed. Almost got lost once in a new area as dusk rolled in & couldn't find the truck. GPS bailed me out, but batteries were almost dead. Note to self, carry spare batteries, what a fundamental mistake. Several tenting overnighters too, you learn pretty quick what you need & what's superfluous. Along with the 30-06 for deer, I kept a 12 gauge with some slugs & buckshot for a little added peace of mind overnight under canvas.

Here's a graphic featuring the gps track of one outing in the Monashees. Oddly enough, I spooked some Whitetail does only about 50 meters from where I parked at the end of the FSR. No further sightings higher up, but plenty of sign & what looked like bedding sites.

Have been up pretty high late in the season in snow as well. Loved it, learned a bit about how far I can push a vehicle, had to dig it out... another dumb move, should have chained up before I got to that point.

Skis & skins can be a useful combo late in the season up high...