Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting up high/Backpack hunting

Hunting up high/Backpack hunting

Hey all,

I would like to begin hunting deeper into the woods and preferably higher up in the mountains, but have limited experience with this approach and the totally off trail/self directed bushwacking involved. The fellows who introduced me to hunting 6 or 7 years ago would drive down an FSR, park -- then walk deactivated roads and eventually get into cut blocks and start glassing. This works good, but I am rapidly becoming more drawn to the idea of hunting the thick, getting up high and spending a few days camping out of my bag while looking for deer.

I was hoping for some tips and insight into where people typically go and how they access the higher up parts of hills/mountains. Do you just find a mountain or area of interest ( either from driving or google earth ect.. ) drive the FSR to a reasonable spot to park and then start heading straight up and bushwalk your way through? Are you taking advantages of existing trails? Is this even a realistic approach in the lower mainland area?

Also, when you finally do get higher up -- is it just endless timber or are there generally some bowls or open area's to glass for deer?

My backpack is packed with the essentials and ready to start hiking to scout these areas for animals, just hoping for some pointers!

Cheers,
    Wolf
    Last edited by Wolfkrieg; 05-11-2017 at 10:26 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting up high/Backpack hunting

Following the thread as this is also of great interest to me. Am starting with an "off trail" hiking trip this summer.

Google earth is your friend, pick a spot and go.
    -My advice is bring a map of your area, learn how to use a compass to get in and out.
    -Gps are nice to mark way points and then using google earth to overlay on your route to learn the real thing vs computer once your home.
    - tell someone where your going and when your gonna be back. So they can start a search for you if needed.
    - make sure your gear is up to the task, test on a small trip before heading out on multiday trip !!!

Google earth is a definite. I usually print screenshots off. Bushwacking isn't much fun but sometimes necessary, unfortunately a lot of alpine areas in the southern interior already have recreation trails into the alpine. Spend your time glassing the timber edges and open areas. Im sure there are other places as beautiful as BC alpine but it's out our back door!

Google is definitely your friend. Using coordinates locked into your GPS spots are easy to find. But the draw back is some areas that show on Google are dated.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

First things first, determine what species you are looking for. Then get on Google earth and look for the "best looking" mountain ranges in the areas that animal resides. Seems like you are looking for deer. I'd look for mountains with big draws, sparse timber or burns, or alpine meadows/bowls. Get up high in the early season by any means. If there are roads or trails that get you close then great, if not then your bush wacking. As the season goes on you can follow the deer down towards where the does hang out.
    People will give you advice and it's always good to have the basics but you just have to get out there and do it. It's the only way to learn and it will take years for it to pay off. Hike lots in the summer and get comfortable with what it takes to get to the alpine and the best ways to move around and test your gear. Will save you a lot of time in hunting season.

If going solo, buy an inexpensive satellite phone (inreach, spot).

guest Guest

Some great advise above. If your first time, maybe best not to do it alone. Focus on one species, but try to up your anti by applying possibly for a Goat, or a Sheep. Region 3 and 4 has some great alpine hunting areas for mulies where you can do just that with some decent odds on a Goat if you do your homework, and the odd spot for a Ram.
    Its rewarding and addicting the quality areas you can find.
    Go preparred, be safe at all costs. There are some terrific back pack threads you can search on here for what essentials to take and his to minimize pack weight and neccasary gear.
    Good luck to you.

CT

Think distance to weight ratio. If you are packing in, you want to be as light as possible. The farther your trek, the lighter you want to be. And don't forget about the 100-200 lbs of meat you'll be packing out.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Google earth is your friend, pick a spot and go.
    -My advice is bring a map of your area, learn how to use a compass to get in and out.
    -Gps are nice to mark way points and then using google earth to overlay on your route to learn the real thing vs computer once your home.
    - tell someone where your going and when your gonna be back. So they can start a search for you if needed.
    - make sure your gear is up to the task, test on a small trip before heading out on multiday trip !!!
    What he said...a SPOT satellite is a good tool, and as CT said, maybe for your first couple trips go with a partner.. and yes learn navigation, if you have any questions on that, feel free to PM me...and bushwhacking, contrary to popular belief, can be a lot of fun..