Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
Well, rather than starting a new thread, I'll post in this one because the topic is pretty much the same.

Per the Stone Glacier thread, I'm buying my 18 yr old son a pack, bag and tent for grad this year. I just hit enter on the Stone Glacier pack, many thanks to those that helped on that thread.

I'm pretty convinced on the Terralite bag because I don't think a guy can go wrong following BBD's gear advice but the tent has me stumped.

A few years ago I bought a used Stephenson's Warmlite tent off Craigslist along with an amazing Feathered Friends bag. I really bought the tent because it was bundled with the bag I really wanted but I ended up loving the tent. Single wall, light (2.5lbs), super fast set up (didn't want to say erection), good in wind and rain. It takes 4 stakes in good weather, 8 in nasty weather. My son loves it and when I inquired as to what kind of tent he imagines buying one day he was adamant that he'd like another Warmlite.

Problem is, the damn thing was designed in 1964 and hasn't changed since. No serious hiker/hunter that I know uses one and almost everyone I know recommends a Hilleberg. But the Hilleberg single wall tents are several pounds heavier. He really likes the simplicity of single wall tents.

Go with his preference or pull the "You'll thank me later" card and buy something more modern?
I just got the Terralite. I haven't even used it yet, but I love it. It packs down so small and feels like it weighs nothing. It fits nicely in a "Small" Sea to Summit eVent compression sack. And when you get in...oh, the comfort and the space are great.

I also got a Nemo Riff (got an amazing deal) and it's pretty comfortable as well with some great features, but weighs a bit more and doesn't compress as small.

For what it's worth, Hille has a couple of Nallo GTs in their special offer section (minor stitching issues). Thought about the 3 GT, but don't need it.