Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tent and pack enroute!

Re: New tent and pack enroute!

No, never happen, I have stripped my gear down to the minimum and intend to wear it out "or die trying"!

If, I were a young guy like you, into wilderness hunts, I would probably buy an Allak, as an excellent tent for such uses and the weight is doable for such uses. This NIAK, is borderline for use in remote areas where snow storms can/do happen in late spring and late summer and not intended for such conditions.

I know what makers say, but, I tend to be very conservative in choices as too many friends of mine have died in BC's mountains and solo trips as I usually prefer just require some margin in gear, IMHO.

Congrats on your new gear purchase BlackDog, if coming to the W. koots be sure to bring your hip waders for the bush, still 2-3 feet on the hills. Also epic amount of ticks so far this year. I'm going to check on the local Elk herd as well, caught up to them last weekend by surprise, maybe I'll see you out there.
    Good luck

Let it be known this is the first thread by bgblkdg without mentioning a pre 64 rifle and mcmillan stock.

Seldom use mine now, into my Kimber MA .280AI, so, "even an old dog"......

Wanna buy some REALLY choice P-64 customs?????? Good deals!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    Let it be known this is the first thread by bgblkdg without mentioning a pre 64 rifle and mcmillan stock.
    This got a legit LOL.

BgBlkDg, I really need to get out to MDRGC very soon.

Hopefully, I can time it so we can connect and compare some gear. My SG pack, SO tarp and Redcliff.

I won't bring my quilts, as I know you'll tell me I am going to die with them. You can tell me without seeing them.

I'll try to give you a reasonable heads up...and actually, follow through this time. Kids are off to summer camp for three weeks at the start of July. So I'll have ample free time. But hopefully sooner.

I was thrilled to go to Manning Park for a long weekend and sleep in a terrible pup tent as a kid. Sure as s%&t my parent weren't footing the bill for three weeks at summer camp. Growing up in Hope there was ample nature, swimming, and biking, I am not sure I missed out. Other than meeting new girls.

Never mind the fact their camp is in Hawaii. Grandparents covering the costs at their choosing and insistence. Apparently, it is a helluva a time to be a kid...

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I came home from the gym yesterday and the Can.Post. parcel guy was here with a large box, paid another $35.00 and the tent and bag were mine!

My second WM bag, fourth Hille. so knew what to expect and the Terralite is EXACTLY what I want and need and WM's quality keeps improving, IMHO, since I first examined one circa early 1980s. I forsee many wonderful nights sleeping in this and am completely satisfied with it, not a usual state of affairs with me and gear.

I have not yet taken the Hille. out of it's shipping bag, raining in Abby, yesterday, ( geez, fancy that, eh!) and am prolonging the thrill of new gear. Weather, supposed to break today and by Friday, my lawn should be dry and I will set it up and spend a night in the WM inside the Niak.

Costly, yeah, but, experience has taught me for many years that in light mountain gear, more than in most things, you really DO GET what you pay for and the best gear lasts longer. I had my first of four "Gore/Tex" tents, the legendary "Lite Dimension" by Early Winters, from 1978 to about 2007 and once lived in it, May, 1981, in the lower Flathead, for a solid month, snow, rain, wind and so on and I was safe, warm and comfy....so, it cost me maybe two cases of beer per annum........

Anyway, I highly recommend Hilleberg, WM and Charley Jennings of Bearriver Outfitters, a really fine, honest and knowledgeable dealer. I do not think we have a Canadian dealer for Hille. and MEC controls WM sales in Canada.....NOT f**king likely!!!!
    Counterpoint: My 1986 era Early Winters one man and buddy's two man single wall tents (seam sealed) about killed us on a goat hunt that year. We both had to mop water out of them from a 36 hour rain/snow storm. Way different experience than what BBD talks about. I gave mine to a co-worker with plenty of warning to only use it in clear weather on one night trips! Funny how one person likes a piece of gear and the next finds it junk.
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 06-06-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Not picking sides here, as I can see merit to both views. Firstly, pride and attention to detail in the product produced was very likely higher in the 70's and 80's with Canadian/American employees. But regardless, no matter how well a piece of gear is constructed, it is/was still limited by the quality of materials used.

Well, rather than starting a new thread, I'll post in this one because the topic is pretty much the same.

Per the Stone Glacier thread, I'm buying my 18 yr old son a pack, bag and tent for grad this year. I just hit enter on the Stone Glacier pack, many thanks to those that helped on that thread.

I'm pretty convinced on the Terralite bag because I don't think a guy can go wrong following BBD's gear advice but the tent has me stumped.

A few years ago I bought a used Stephenson's Warmlite tent off Craigslist along with an amazing Feathered Friends bag. I really bought the tent because it was bundled with the bag I really wanted but I ended up loving the tent. Single wall, light (2.5lbs), super fast set up (didn't want to say erection), good in wind and rain. It takes 4 stakes in good weather, 8 in nasty weather. My son loves it and when I inquired as to what kind of tent he imagines buying one day he was adamant that he'd like another Warmlite.

Problem is, the damn thing was designed in 1964 and hasn't changed since. No serious hiker/hunter that I know uses one and almost everyone I know recommends a Hilleberg. But the Hilleberg single wall tents are several pounds heavier. He really likes the simplicity of single wall tents.

Go with his preference or pull the "You'll thank me later" card and buy something more modern?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Happy to hear you finally found that light and tough setup you were looking for Black Dog, have been waiting for your decision since you mentioned you wanted to lighten up a few threads back. Want to check out the new Hille stuff as our latest popup tent experiment couldn't handle the prevailing winds in the boundary this spring.(again get what you pay for) Good luck with the new gear!!

Smile Re: New tent and pack enroute!

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Well, rather than starting a new thread, I'll post in this one because the topic is pretty much the same.

Per the Stone Glacier thread, I'm buying my 18 yr old son a pack, bag and tent for grad this year. I just hit enter on the Stone Glacier pack, many thanks to those that helped on that thread.

I'm pretty convinced on the Terralite bag because I don't think a guy can go wrong following BBD's gear advice but the tent has me stumped.

A few years ago I bought a used Stephenson's Warmlite tent off Craigslist along with an amazing Feathered Friends bag. I really bought the tent because it was bundled with the bag I really wanted but I ended up loving the tent. Single wall, light (2.5lbs), super fast set up (didn't want to say erection), good in wind and rain. It takes 4 stakes in good weather, 8 in nasty weather. My son loves it and when I inquired as to what kind of tent he imagines buying one day he was adamant that he'd like another Warmlite.

Problem is, the damn thing was designed in 1964 and hasn't changed since. No serious hiker/hunter that I know uses one and almost everyone I know recommends a Hilleberg. But the Hilleberg single wall tents are several pounds heavier. He really likes the simplicity of single wall tents.

Go with his preference or pull the "You'll thank me later" card and buy something more modern?
    Checked out the WL site and there tent looks a lot like a Hilleberg Nallo. The regular Nallo is just over 5 lbs, IIRC, but would be much less if you unclipped the inner tent if you wanted a SW. The Hillebergs are amazing tents and there 3 season tents are worth a look too.