Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tent and pack enroute!

New tent and pack enroute!

For several years, older injuries and advancing age have slowed me and kept my from backpacking. So, I started putting together the LIGHTEST serious camp/pack I could, based on what I know I need in BC.

I recently ordered and received a Seek Outside Exposure 5000 and have been tuning and rigging it as my general purpose pack, light, comfortable and very well made.

I had sold all my down bags, WM Alpinlite, Valandre Shocking Blue and kept my original custom XPDII OF by Evan Jones of the original Integral Designs, plus a combo of the North Twin and Overbag by them, with Primaloft. These are my winter and hunting bags, but, heavier than I now want to carry.

Sooooo, after a LOT of thought, research and so forth, I decided to order a WM Terralite with the "Extender" for a 2lb. all up 3-season bag.

I also need a lighter tent and now have a 2009 model Hilleberg Saivo and an original ID MKILite, but, wanted far less weight than the former and a bit more space than the latter. I had two Hilleberg Soulos, red and green and they are "bomber", but still more weight than I care for.

Hilleberg, makes the Niak, a very light 3-season 2-person tent and I have never found a tent(s) superior to Hilles. So, some calls to my buddy Charley Jennings of Bearriver and he called today to say they are on their way to me.

Tent and bag-5lbs-12 ozs, can't beat that and both WM and Hille are simply THE "best". I had seriously considered a full custom PHD at even less weight than the WM, but, at twice the price, and 71 in less than two months, I went with WM.

Soon, out in the West Kootenays, scouting for ELK and fly fishing!!!!! YES!!!!
    Last edited by BgBlkDg; 05-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New tent and pack enroute!

Sounds like your set for a good outdoor experience. I hope you have a great time out there. Go slow, be careful, remember you're not 25 any more, and have fun,

The Niak has been on my radar since introduction, be curious to hear your thoughts after some use.

New gear is always exciting! I recently ordered an exo 5500 pack. If it doesn't cut 10 years off my age and 20lbs off my weight I will want my money back!!

Niak looks awesome....but too much dough for this guy!

After hearing the hype I bought a hilleberg allak a few months ago and can say that I am impressed. A very nice piece of gear. The niak kicks it up a notch in weight reduction with a little less comfort.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

What you using for a mattress? I find I'm never cold, but stiff from the ground indentations. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I bought a niak last year. Its an awesome tent, light and typical hilleberg strength and durability. Wouldn't dream of bunking two dudes in it though, makes a great solo tent.

I came home from the gym yesterday and the Can.Post. parcel guy was here with a large box, paid another $35.00 and the tent and bag were mine!

My second WM bag, fourth Hille. so knew what to expect and the Terralite is EXACTLY what I want and need and WM's quality keeps improving, IMHO, since I first examined one circa early 1980s. I forsee many wonderful nights sleeping in this and am completely satisfied with it, not a usual state of affairs with me and gear.

I have not yet taken the Hille. out of it's shipping bag, raining in Abby, yesterday, ( geez, fancy that, eh!) and am prolonging the thrill of new gear. Weather, supposed to break today and by Friday, my lawn should be dry and I will set it up and spend a night in the WM inside the Niak.

Costly, yeah, but, experience has taught me for many years that in light mountain gear, more than in most things, you really DO GET what you pay for and the best gear lasts longer. I had my first of four "Gore/Tex" tents, the legendary "Lite Dimension" by Early Winters, from 1978 to about 2007 and once lived in it, May, 1981, in the lower Flathead, for a solid month, snow, rain, wind and so on and I was safe, warm and comfy....so, it cost me maybe two cases of beer per annum........

Anyway, I highly recommend Hilleberg, WM and Charley Jennings of Bearriver Outfitters, a really fine, honest and knowledgeable dealer. I do not think we have a Canadian dealer for Hille. and MEC controls WM sales in Canada.....NOT f**king likely!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    I came home from the gym yesterday and the Can.Post. parcel guy was here with a large box, paid another $35.00 and the tent and bag were mine!

My second WM bag, fourth Hille. so knew what to expect and the Terralite is EXACTLY what I want and need and WM's quality keeps improving, IMHO, since I first examined one circa early 1980s. I forsee many wonderful nights sleeping in this and am completely satisfied with it, not a usual state of affairs with me and gear.

I have not yet taken the Hille. out of it's shipping bag, raining in Abby, yesterday, ( geez, fancy that, eh!) and am prolonging the thrill of new gear. Weather, supposed to break today and by Friday, my lawn should be dry and I will set it up and spend a night in the WM inside the Niak.

Costly, yeah, but, experience has taught me for many years that in light mountain gear, more than in most things, you really DO GET what you pay for and the best gear lasts longer. I had my first of four "Gore/Tex" tents, the legendary "Lite Dimension" by Early Winters, from 1978 to about 2007 and once lived in it, May, 1981, in the lower Flathead, for a solid month, snow, rain, wind and so on and I was safe, warm and comfy....so, it cost me maybe two cases of beer per annum........

Anyway, I highly recommend Hilleberg, WM and Charley Jennings of Bearriver Outfitters, a really fine, honest and knowledgeable dealer. I do not think we have a Canadian dealer for Hille. and MEC controls WM sales in Canada.....NOT f**king likely!!!!
    lemme know when you wanna sell that niak!