Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: black bear charge today

Re: black bear charge today

Thanks for the details

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm I was 3 feet away from the open door, my .338 Sako and clip were readily access able. .but not in this case. .it all just happened so fast, lol neither Ebony nor I are good on our legs..Ebony gets CCM surgery May 25, my knee surgery is June 8th..
    Great question what if it was a grizzly..smart would be quiet grab the rifle and 225 GR. Barnes..
    I'm just stoopidly enough, and LOVE my dog enough that I probably would have still yelled.
    My dog seems really traumatized to nite. .won't leave my side for even an instant..poor girl..
    Exciting events ..yes Lew my buddy..it turned out well.
    Srupp
    You're her hero that's pretty obvious Steven. Sure hope there's not another situation that scares her as badly.
    Even though my Tuk is an unusually large lab, he's not brave in the least, so has also come running to me for
    protection and assurance, of course nothing like yours though. I only hope I don't let him down in the future
    should he come to me for help.

Glad your both ok Steve dogs hate bears eh

What kind of dog?
    Dog been around many bears?
    Been thinking of a thread on this very topic...... I know there are many good breads out there for some bear defence. I think the question is what are guys doing to train there dogs to stand there ground. I know no dog is a match for a full on fight but many dogs are good at corralling the bear and running in circles. Not bringing the bread back to the owner is key.

Anyone had much experience with training dogs to keep bears at bay? Not talking about hounds to tree bears.

Holy.. I would have had a heart attack! Poor pup Glad to hear you're both ok!

Hmmm our dog is a overweight purebred black lab.zero experience with bears .
    The outfitter i worked for at Ghost lake had wolf hybrid dogs BIG dogs that kept even grizzlies at distance, when we tented it we always kept at least 2 wolf hybrids staked to the frame..never any issues..
    I wasn't thinking of bears while feeding Ebony. .however her response of running to me, and trying to hide between my legs was in retrospect not surprising or unexpected..
    What was surprising was Ebony just went behind the truck, was only out of my sight for under 30 seconds..and all this happened at the truck. .interesting it is also a boat launch..day camping area so human interaction is expected..and this bear is a mature adult who most assurance has had human contact of some sort.he responded immediately, instantly to my voice..from where I stood at the rear door of quad door f350 to rear of truck..15 feet?..too close. .

Thankful
    Steven

Glad you and the pooch are ok, thanks for the info...

Good on yah to be cool in that situation and good on your dog for alerting you! Mans best friend for sure!

things can happen quick glad you and your dog are safe

I would like to Book Ebony for a Bear hunt next year please...heck I wouldn't have to walk to far from the Truck either...
    Pretty hairy Experience Elmer , But that's what makes for the best stories later....