Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: black bear charge today

black bear charge today

Went out with Ebony..towards Horsefly..back in there I started seeing lots of fresh bear poop. .then up the mountain stopped by snow..again..
    Then stopped at back side of a little lake..let Ebony out, fed her dinner...4:30 pm..Ebony disappeared behind the truck then she barked..woof..woof ..woof..defiantly my dogs bark..but before I could say anything I hear a GRRRRRRR ROAR..and simultaneously my dog comes whipping around the truck..wheeling on her 3 legs followed by a 6 1/2 foot boar black bear . I yelled HEY BEAR HEY BEAR..which caused the bear to immediately turn and hit the bush..Ebony tucked herself firmly between my legs shaking terribly...
    The bear did not actually touch Ebony..but was only feet away when I shouted..the bear did not continue on after my intervention...
    Called it a day after that..bears are out and cranky..lol..
    Contimplating heading out there for the weekend....
    Lots of sign at 3200 foot level

Srupp

2. Site Sponsor

Re: black bear charge today

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Went out with Ebony..towards Horsefly..back in there I started seeing lots of fresh bear poop. .then up the mountain stopped by snow..again..
    Then stopped at back side of a little lake..let Ebony out, fed her dinner...4:30 pm..Ebony disappeared behind the truck then she barked..woof..woof ..woof..defiantly my dogs bark..but before I could say anything I hear a GRRRRRRR ROAR..and simultaneously my dog comes whipping around the truck..wheeling on her 3 legs followed by a 6 1/2 foot boar black bear . I yelled HEY BEAR HEY BEAR..which caused the bear to immediately turn and hit the bush..Ebony tucked herself firmly between my legs shaking terribly...
    The bear did not actually touch Ebony..but was only feet away when I shouted..the bear did not continue on after my intervention...

Srupp
    That'll wind up the old ticker. Glad that's all that happened Steven.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Interestingly things just clicked into auto mode..no time for excitement or panic..30 plus years guiding, Paramedic. .guess just used to the unexpected. .nothing and then there is...
    However probably the closest I have ever been to a large black bear..angry to boot..
    Yes both us cripples escaped unscathed..
    Srupp

Yikes, with the bad knee your dog wouldn't be running and maneuvering as well as usual. Luckily not too far from the truck! Glad you both got out unscathed.

Would you have reacted different if it was a griz ?

Reminds you to keep on your toes I bet

I like to learn from situations like this. How far away were you from the bear and the truck? I am assuming you didnt have a firearm in hand?
    thanks.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Well, sure glad you and Ebony's exciting episode had a safe conclusion.
    As they say, "A miss is as good as a mile away" providing it has a happy ending.
    Bears do not like dogs, so I wonder if her barking sparked the bear's aggressive behavior?
    So many times others have had the same scenario...scared dogs bringing chasing bears back
    toward their masters, sometimes with disastrous results....you both are very lucky that your
    hollering turned the bear away.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post

Srupp
    It's your lucky day!
    HEY BEAR HEY BEAR
    yelling at the top of our lungs also caused a large grizzly to turn & belly flop into the deep Gaspard Creek. The grizz was about 20 ft. away when turning abruptly.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Hmm I was 3 feet away from the open door, my .338 Sako and clip were readily access able. .but not in this case. .it all just happened so fast, lol neither Ebony nor I are good on our legs..Ebony gets CCM surgery May 25, my knee surgery is June 8th..
    Great question what if it was a grizzly..smart would be quiet grab the rifle and 225 GR. Barnes..
    I'm just stoopidly enough, and LOVE my dog enough that I probably would have still yelled.
    My dog seems really traumatized to nite. .won't leave my side for even an instant..poor girl..
    Exciting events ..yes Lew my buddy..it turned out well.
    Srupp