Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Long Range Setup

Re: Opinion on Long Range Setup

Nightforce is good scope...had Leupolds all my life now looking for than new Sawrovski get my self some nice set up and get rid of rest
    Thanks for imput
    Religion is for people who fear Hell, Spirituality is for people who have been there...

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    friend of mine owns a Fierce 300wm. He went south to do the gunwerks course. Said they were big fans of the 6.5 creedmoor...7mm as well.
    Was making decent groups out to 1200 yds. said it was surprisingly easy to hit 1200 yds. Was using a suppressor which he thought was incredible for recoil and obviously sound. In regards to scope, he had swaroski but after the course he is a big believer in the Nightforce. Likely selling the swaroski to buy a nightforce.

if he has any more input I'll let you know.

Hi Dapesche This is New Swarovski that is just came out in Europe not yet here its laser range scope etc etc
    Religion is for people who fear Hell, Spirituality is for people who have been there...

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    I have a fierce in 300 rum. I also run a swaro on it. I have no problems out to 1100 yards right now. Would I shoot something at that distance? NO, but I wouldn't hesitate at 800 yards. It's all about practice and how confident you are.
    My creedmoor shows up on Monday and it's going to wear a nightforce.

Brew i guess close to same ballistics with less recoil in creedmoore...?

Quote Originally Posted by selvir View Post
    Anyone has nay other suggestion in other brands / calibers for 1000 yards ?? I think i am pretty much set on that scope.
    Sako Av in 7 Stw.... buddy loves it.... old school but it sure smokes them whitetail.

Most mechanically sound rifles will shoot < 1 moa for at least the first 3 shots, so choice of rifle and caliber is yours as long as the bullet will operate within its design window. In 7mm a 162 gr ELD-X will perform from near to ~700 yards when started at ~2900 ft/s. There are other bullets but this one seems ideal for deer/elk sized game.

The scope must first be accurate in its adjustment and repeatable. "Glass" is a secondary concern, as the scope is an aiming devise.

You must know the range, so an accurate rangefinder is a must, one that compensates for for up and down hill shots.

You must calculate wind velocity and apply it to windage settings on the scope.

It is not easy to get hits in 'field' conditions at 1000+ yards. Dialing in a shot at the range under known distances with a sighter included isn't exactly the same.

Practice, and a lot of it, in field conditions is required.

One should be able to hit an moa target first time /all the time at any distance before one should be satisfied.

This may require you to back up the range until you find the distance where you can do that.

A hard recoiling rifle with a high scope power setting will increase the difficulty.

And, your handloads must be impeccable with single digit ES's.

I am in the process of rebarreling a Tikka T3 with a Benchmark 7mm 8T chambered in 280 AI to shoot 162gr ELD-X, I will be mounting a well tested Vortex PST 2.5x10 scope in Burris Signiture Zee rings. This will be have enough accuracy and power within the bullets performance window ~700 yards.
    Last edited by BCBRAD; 05-05-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by selvir View Post
    Brew i guess close to same ballistics with less recoil in creedmoore...?
    I think the rum is flatter do to speed and the heavy weight high bc bullets but I haven't looked at the numbers. The rumjust hits with a lot more authority
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    I think the rum is flatter do to speed and the heavy weight high bc bullets but I haven't looked at the numbers. The rumjust hits with a lot more authority
    and the 300 BEATS up your shoulder a LOT more ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Nice rifles and scopes but it isn't worth 10 grand imho, buy the scope and parts for the rifle and have the rifle built by a reputable Gunsmith and save a few grand, but if money's no object fly at her !
    You can't build a rifle with ti action, carbon barrel and decent stock for anywhere near what you'd pay for a fierce.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    You can't build a rifle with ti action, carbon barrel and decent stock for anywhere near what you'd pay for a fierce.
    You can't build a rifle with a Titanium action and a carbon barrel with a Swarovski scope for 10,000.00 ?
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    You can't build a rifle with a Titanium action and a carbon barrel with a Swarovski scope for 10,000.00 ?
    Prove me wrong. You didn't take the bait the first time buy I'm really curious what you come up with. You can but a CT edge with swaro for a lot less than 10k too I should add.
    Last edited by 300rum700; 05-06-2017 at 04:19 AM.