Thread: Upland Hunting w/dog in South Central BC

Upland Hunting w/dog in South Central BC

Hello,

First post here. Decided posting these question in this forum versus small game to get more answers from people hunting with dogs.

Just about ready to move to BC from Eastern Canada (NB). Been a dream for my wife and I since we are very avid outdoor people, especially mountain biking. We are taking a 3.5 month leave of absence to travel out west in our RV, we'll be mountain biking our way through the entire province, then the plan is to just not come back.

Currently Rossland area is very high on our list to settle in, for a variety of factors, including having a few family/friends there already, cost and a strong mountain bike/ski community.

Beyond that, another hobby of mine is upland hunting with 1.5 year old Brittany.

- Any comments on what the upland hunting is like in that area? Guessing it's primarily Blue/Ruffed Grouse?

- What is land access like? Here in NB, as long as you are 30 minutes outside one of the major cities, or 15 minutes outside of a town, you can pretty much hunt anywhere, unless it's specifically posted, which is rare.

- I see in the regulations that other species like quail, chukar, ptarmigan have bag limits in and around this area. Are populations strong enough that people readily head out and target these species. My preference in generally not to travel to far (up to an hour) to go hunting, but occasionally I don't mind making longer trips, maybe even spend a weekend out. Especially if it means hunting some different terrain/birds.

- Any special considerations when hunting with dogs in BC? Namely predators. We have coyotes and black bears here, but they really aren't a concern.

- Many people using point dogs in central BC?

Cause people like pictures. Here is my Brittany, name is Rudy. First in on point with a woodcock. Second is the first Ruffed grouse I shot over him this past fall.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 10.02.05 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 10.02.18 AM.jpg  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Upland Hunting w/dog in South Central BC

Are you retired? You will likely be commuting to work if you aren't. It's a pretty small town.

There are many of us who hunt over dogs here. Both waterfowl and upland. You can get into some good quail, chukars and huns if you know the right areas, Pheasant are harder to find and takes a little more luck. Personally I like waterfowl as the birds come to me...

If during your travels through BC you're in the Okanagan valley and interested in a ride let me know, any reason to go pedal is a good reason... Can fill you in a little bit about the hunting and birding when we ride.

Rosslands beautiful but work is hard to come by. If your not retired whats type of work are you in?
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
    Having an opinion is kind of like having a penis. It's fine that you have one, and its fine that I have one, but you don't see me trying to cram mine down your throat.....

Quote Originally Posted by steelslinger View Post
    There are many of us who hunt over dogs here. Both waterfowl and upland. You can get into some good quail, chukars and huns if you know the right areas, Pheasant are harder to find and takes a little more luck. Personally I like waterfowl as the birds come to me...

If during your travels through BC you're in the Okanagan valley and interested in a ride let me know, any reason to go pedal is a good reason... Can fill you in a little bit about the hunting and birding when we ride.

Rosslands beautiful but work is hard to come by. If your not retired whats type of work are you in?
    I'll definitely be in the Okanagan, very nice offer. We are camped 1 night in Kamloops (kinda passing through). 3 nights just south of Penticton, 2 nights Kelowna and a couple nights in Vernon (well Silverstar).

I'm not much into waterfowl, as I prefer to chase the birds, and my dog comes from cover dog field trial lines. He's far better at finding them than bringing them back! I couldn't even imagine him sitting in a blind!

As for work, got that covered. My wife has a very good job that is 100% remote, as long as she stays in Canada. So we only need a good internet connection. I left my career a couple years back as a University/College instructor so we could have more freedom. I do some educational contract stuff online part-time, and random other things that peak my interest. So I'm really only looking for a part-time job, just to get out of the house.

you're correct in thinking that local to Rossland/Trail area grouse are the main item on the menu for hunting over a dog. numbers vary from year to year but some areas always seem to produce, you'll soon figure which ones - your dog will soon tell you! access is not really an issue for grouse as most are to be found on crown land.

provided you can make a living, Rossland/Trail is a good central point in many ways. if you go west an hour or so there is a wider range of upland birds beginning in Grand Forks/Christina Lake area & extending all the way to the Okanogan - a lot of the low elevation grasslands are private land though so there is that.

go an hour or so east & you'll be in Creston where the waterfowling can be very good on both public & private land. some pheasants there too but nowadays almost all on private land. the creston wildlife management area is open to bird hunting from Oct 1 on & the best bits are accessible only by boat, foot or bike so you'll often find yourself all alone in there. your dog will be in heaven in that extensive maze of dikes, channels, sloughs, fields & ribbons of forest. some nasty burs though so bring a brush...

lots of predators all through the kootenays - bears particularly numerous & especially common in Rossland as it happens, nice to have a fairly close working dog you can keep half an eye on. not sure but I think there is a Brittany breeder in Genelle or China Creek so I'm sure they would be able to help you with specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    you're correct in thinking that local to Rossland/Trail area grouse are the main item on the menu for hunting over a dog. numbers vary from year to year but some areas always seem to produce, you'll soon figure which ones - your dog will soon tell you! access is not really an issue for grouse as most are to be found on crown land.

provided you can make a living, Rossland/Trail is a good central point in many ways. if you go west an hour or so there is a wider range of upland birds beginning in Grand Forks/Christina Lake area & extending all the way to the Okanogan - a lot of the low elevation grasslands are private land though so there is that.

go an hour or so east & you'll be in Creston where the waterfowling can be very good on both public & private land. some pheasants there too but nowadays almost all on private land. the creston wildlife management area is open to bird hunting from Oct 1 on & the best bits are accessible only by boat, foot or bike so you'll often find yourself all alone in there. your dog will be in heaven in that extensive maze of dikes, channels, sloughs, fields & ribbons of forest. some nasty burs though so bring a brush...

lots of predators all through the kootenays - bears particularly numerous & especially common in Rossland as it happens, nice to have a fairly close working dog you can keep half an eye on. not sure but I think there is a Brittany breeder in Genelle or China Creek so I'm sure they would be able to help you with specifics.
    Thank you for the information.

The fellow who breeds Brittany's in Genelle is Bob Pegg. Look him up when you are there and he can fill you in on the details about bird hunting in that part of the province. Grouse hunting should be fair to good in your area, but unless you know some landowners quail and pheasant hunting is pretty slim pickings. Add to that tighter firearm restrictions in the Okanagan Valley and upland bird hunting is pretty non-existent. I should know I hunted in that area when it was still pretty decent. However, my advice would be to take some time off in October and go East to Alberta. Believe me you will have a blast, as you can chase after sharptails, hungarian partridge and pheasants. And hunters are welcome in many of the Southern Alberta communities, as I did it last year and had a really great time. It also did not hurt that the temperatures last autumn were summer like in those areas.