Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear- Shoot or Pass? (Youtube Vid)

Spring Black Bear- Shoot or Pass? (Youtube Vid)

Was out hunting this evening and found what I think is a decent boar. I'm not very experienced with judging black bears yet so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I had my crosshairs on his shoulder, dead steady at 270 yards..I didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't 100% sure he was as big as I thought, and I didn't know if the camera man was filming yet. Tell me what you think..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skng...ature=youtu.be

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Black Bear- Shoot or Pass? (Youtube Vid)

Great patience, you will find great success hunting as you do. Decent bear, not a monster, but he appeared to have a nice hide. Thnx for the share
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Seems to me just a year shy of a shooter. Does have a good hide and looks bigger when they are stretched out eating. Shooter bear for start of the season No.... Shooter bear for bear for meat or first time bear is totally up to you and would be considered. If you still can't sleep because of it my best bet he will be around there tomorrow

Young bear - legs long and skinny, body looks long compared to girth, head looks narrow, belly not hanging. I would call that a pass, but I'm sure he would make someone a nice rug and burger combo! Good patience with an animal in front of you. A lot of people would have shot just because they saw black fur. I'm heading out this weekend, I hope to have an encounter like this one

Pass....not a bad bear....and like others have said...great fur...but year to young

Depends if you are in a meat crisis or not. I personally would have converted that animal into hams etc, but thats just me!

Quote Originally Posted by bc_buckshot View Post
    seems to me just a year shy of a shooter. Does have a good hide and looks bigger when they are stretched out eating. Shooter bear for start of the season no.... Shooter bear for bear for meat or first time bear is totally up to you and would be considered. If you still can't sleep because of it my best bet he will be around there tomorrow
    x2...........

Personal choice for you ....
    Pass for me. Young bear, in nice shape.

Personally I'd pass but I would not judge anyone for taking it

Pass. Young bear. Probably a good one for the table if your into eating those things.