Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear- Shoot or Pass? (Youtube Vid)

Re: Spring Black Bear- Shoot or Pass? (Youtube Vid)

Big ears
    but you get two tags
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hard to be 100% by the clip but my best guess would be just over 5 ft nose to tail on the round and skull in the 17's

everyone has different goals on what's a shooter but if I was looking for a big bear I would pass. If you want a good eater that is a shooter

what are you hoping for in a bear?

I'm no expert myself but I would agree he's not really mature yet. Without seeing and watching a little more in person I can't say whether I'd shoot him or not, though my dogs could really use some meat and I could go for some more sausage. Good table fare and looked like decent hide but not a monster by any means. Was slender/lanky looking, ears stuck out, and surprised no one else has mentioned this, but he seemed spooky/weary, looking around and even jumped and ran a few yards for seemingly no reason, you won't generally see an older mature boar act like this, even when they think there is a threat they will take their time and check it out more closely until they are absolutely sure one way or another.

Now my next question is, do you guys think it's a boar or a sow? I was thinking younger boar for sure, but like I said I'm not very experienced yet...much appreciated guys. The hunt for a 6 footer continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Hard to be 100% by the clip but my best guess would be just over 5 ft nose to tail on the round and skull in the 17's

everyone has different goals on what's a shooter but if I was looking for a big bear I would pass. If you want a good eater that is a shooter

what are you hoping for in a bear?
    Hoping for a boar 6 foot or bigger! Just a respectable mature boar. I've been told that when you see a shooter bear, you'll know it! And with this bear, there were lots of questions and uncertainty...glad I passed now.

I would have shot, nice to have some meat. You always have a 2nd tag for a monster.

It's a boar in my opinion

one thing I will tell you is bears are probably the most highly exaggerated by hunters when it comes to length.

A bear with a trophy size skull can be under 6ft. Usually a bear between 5'6 -5'10 will have a skull between 18-19 1/2 inch give or take. This can vary expecially depending on the genetics in the area. 6 ft bear can be really big 6'6 plus can be a tank

Anytime I talk length it is on the round nose to tail. Many go squared using the front paw wing span and length this gives a higher number on black bear. Others measure the hide after skinning it out again it gives a higher number.

so when you see guys post pics of six foot bears consider how it could have been measured. I know a few taxidermist and they don't see many 6ft or better bears a year if you go by nose to tail on the round. Most bears they see are in the 5'6 - to just shy of 6 ft. They get told guys are bring in bears over six all the time

So take the above into consideration. So if your goal is an honest to god 6ft bear you may eat your tag

Not a shooter this early in the season IMO. Nice coat though.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

It depends on what your goal is.

Trophy big skull record book bear? He's not a bear to shoot
    Meat bear .... He's a shooter
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Still a calf killer, if its legal, go ahead and shoot it! Make some fine sausage. If your in a big bear contest, leave it be, because it wont make it in the top ten! It up to you! Now what I seen, was a 2 year old boar, skinny, the triangle formed by the bears ears and snout was very narrow, very large ears, and it stuck around to give you lots of time to judge it.

Big boars have barrel chests, no neck, and the triangle that forms its ears and snout is very wide. The ears on a big boar seem small in proportion to its big blocky head, and will appear to be more on the side of the bears head, rather on top as is the case with the bear you were filming.

Little bears make good food, and that boar you were filming, would make a good batch of pepperonies, and a good batch of smokies! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"