Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smallest Jet Outboard?

Smallest Jet Outboard?

Hello all..

I'm planning on buying a 16 ft inflatable for hunting/exploring and I would like to put an outboard jet with a tiller (or long tiller). I would like to be able to pack the boat and motor into a float plane - A Yamaha 40 hp jet weights nearly 300 pounds but is a well regarded jet motor. Does anyone have any advice of a smaller/lighter jet outboard for use on a small inflatable? Also, do any of the experience "small" jet boaters have any advice about the smallest motor (hp) that would allow a 16 ft inflatable, two guys, 10 days gear and possible a moose to head back upstream on a 10 kmh current (for example). Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice/input.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smallest Jet Outboard?

A 16 ft inflatable is not a small boat and you need at least a 40-60 HP outboard.
    With 40 you would be pretty slow, even more so if loaded with gear and a moose.
    Yamaha has jet drive outboards from 40 HP to 150 HP.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

You will be disappointed by trying to go minimum hp on a jet. 2 guys 10 days gear and a moose is a load. Have only been on one jet boat trip with a few different boats but it was readily apparent that having reserve hp was the way to go.

40 HP is barely enough for 2 large men with packs and river current. I am not sure you would be able to add a moose.

Tohatsu 50/35 weighed 196 lbs. I used it on an 18’ Crestliner. It’s still boating around Smithers.

Quote Originally Posted by msawyer View Post
    Hello all..

I'm planning on buying a 16 ft inflatable for hunting/exploring and I would like to put an outboard jet with a tiller (or long tiller). I would like to be able to pack the boat and motor into a float plane - A Yamaha 40 hp jet weights nearly 300 pounds but is a well regarded jet motor. Does anyone have any advice of a smaller/lighter jet outboard for use on a small inflatable? Also, do any of the experience "small" jet boaters have any advice about the smallest motor (hp) that would allow a 16 ft inflatable, two guys, 10 days gear and possible a moose to head back upstream on a 10 kmh current (for example). Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice/input.
    Start with a list of everything you’ll be taking including you and your buddy, then do the math on weight. Most people are surprised at what kind of weight they’ll end up with, then figure out what horsepower you’ll need to move the load. I have a firefish and just short trips with 4 of us, extra fuel, food, gear etc makes all the difference in the world. Then you start looking at necessities vs wants for the trip to lighten your load.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Don’t forget how much spare fuel you will pack.

is it more efficient to have a smaller lighter engine running at max load vs. A bigger/ heavier engine running in at peak efficiency and working easier?

We used a 20 HP Merc 2-stroke jet (derated to 15 HP jet I believe) on a fairly small raft in Alaska on a brown bear hunt on a river a few years ago. Obviously it was an older obsolete motor that wasn't too heavy for one guy to move around and fly in via Super Cub. It pushed two of us up river rather well...without camp or a moose in the raft.

I've fished on the Thompson River in a raft with a Yamaha 40/30 jet. That thing would fly with just two of us on board. But as mentioned, it is heavy and stayed on the raft frame full time. Wouldn't want to have to load and move it in a Beaver.

Sorry, I don't know either of the raft lengths, but both were relatively small...certainly not 16' long, likely more in the 12' range.

i had a 12ft inflatable with 30 hp for scuba diving
    2 guy @ 160 lbs
    4 tanks 2 weight belts and all the other stuff you
    took with u.
    it worked well on the ocean but a river id like more power
    would be in your favor

With the boat/gear mentioned a 50/35 two stoke is probably the bare minimum. With any jet bound excursion power, fuel, and weight of said fuel and power will always be a hard balance to keep. Adding float plane transportation and your're into a losing battle. Unless you're flying around in a twin otter your best bet is go 60/40 4 stoke and forget about the plane or run a 12-14ft inflatable with a 20hp 2 stoke and keep a pak raft to tow a moose in (not on step) once you're successful. There is a reason most guys that hunt with jet boats are running 18ft + armoured boats with 350's.