Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive or Hike for Bear?

Drive or Hike for Bear?

So some buddies and I were out for Bear this past weekend, and we ended up at the end bearless (saw one in a ranchers field, rancher said no) and discussing strategy. We were really weighing these two things: 1. Drive logging roads looking for cuts and hopefully a bear in them. 2. Finding natural fields, or cleaned-up cuts (via google earth, driving etc) and hiking to them (with driving as close as reasonable), and through/around them.

Our struggle is mostly driving means covering lots of ground, but you are noisier, and it is not all that enjoyable (we love being out in nature). Doing the hiking means you cover way way less ground, but you are out and about, and probably a lot quieter, and enjoy the overall process more. But really in the end its about getting bear. What's more effective? (especially from those who have tried both)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Drive or Hike for Bear?

A big factor is going to be where you are attempting this. Probably the most successful way to do it if possible (Im not an expert) is to find massive areas you can cover with glass. You can be out in nature, enjoying hopefully a nice warm sunny spring day chatting it up and looking for your bear. Driving can be tough, I personally haven't had a ton of bear sightings via vehicle, but it sure does happen a lot and amount of traffic on the road and feed is going to play a big big factor. I prefer using my binos but you have to have the right kind of ground to do this.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I have tried both...I tend to see more bears on feed whether or not you hike or drive....can drive for hours and if not around feed you will never see them....i like to set up on a good patch of skunk cabbage or open medow and glass glass glass...get to see more then just bears this way....and they aren't just running away like most of the time in the truck.

We spend most of our time between driving and stopping to glass spots as we go, and sitting in one spot and glassing a large expanse of cutblocks. We don't spend allot of time walking unless we see a bear and decide to move on it.

We do see allot of bears right on the roads just driving around between glassing spots. If the weather is crappy, we don't spend much time out of the truck. Just driving from spot to spot probably accounts for about 60% of the bears we've shot.

That said, I used to have two killer spots that an early morning/late afternoon stroll would almost always result in a bear encounter or two within bow range. And if you hit it after a late afternoon rain, it was guaranteed you'd be on a bear. They just loved this spot. And if you didn't spook them to bad, you only had to wait about 20 minutes and you'd see another. Unfortunately, both those spots are no more.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-01-2017 at 06:18 PM.

I you want a bear, drive. If you want a hunt, walk.

Both...........

You'd be surprised how many animals are just out of view from your truck and sitting just over the hill no one wants to climb...you don't have to hike, just go for a walk.

^^^^^this is bang on....plus truck hunting just don't turn my crank....and a side note....truck hunting bear can be dangerous for sow with Cubs...less time to watch and study the bear....in my opinion that is.

Drive around, look for sign. When you see lots, get out and target that area. Walking the roads and glassing open areas as they come into view works pretty good.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Drive around mid morning to mid afternoon looking for sign. If u can glass big country with binos that's a bonus, as there r bears out cruising in the afternoon. Once you locate good active sign that is where you want to walk for the evening. Keep wind in ur favour and don't move fast. 5:00-dark is hands down the best time to be out looking.