Thread: Training a Lab for waterfowl.

Training a Lab for waterfowl.

Hey gang,
    The time has come, Im getting a pup. I spent an afternoon at Someday retrievers in Kamloops meeting some of the dogs and talking to Linda and was very impressed with her operation and her dogs and put a deposit down for a Lab pup. Ive hunted over many dogs in the past, helped in different training stages and watched many amazing dogs work upland and waterfowl and I'm finally in a place where I can get my own. I chose to go through a well known breeder because craigslist ain't the place for that, but Training at Someday cost thousands of dollars and thats not in the cards for me. I would also be more proud of a dog that I trained myself so that what Im going to do and here are my questions.

Lab trained for waterfowl retrieving only no upland
    What books/DVDs/youtubers/forums would you recommend for guidance?
    Clubs in Kamloops or close by that help me and the dog learn?
    GPS coordinates to your favourite duck honey hole in Kamloops...............

Thanks in advance and know that I have lots of time to train and a good portion of hunting season off work due to my jobs, I will put in the time and effort and will hunt this dog like the breed is supposed to because there is something special about watching a hunting dog work.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Training a Lab for waterfowl.

I am no pro but my past lab was a respectable retriever. In my opinion if you can get the dog to bound to you training is easy because they will want to please you. Introduce feathers early but don't let them chew them and only allow the dog to have feathers/birds if you are present. Don't rush into gun shots but introduce them to loud noise slowly increasing the level. Water is easy bathtub slowly increasing the depth than introduce them to a lake.

Slow introduction and making it fun works for me. I use the praise vs treat method but what whatever works for you

just picked up my new small munsterlander pup and starting training all over again

i know there are members here with more knowledge than me on this. I just go with what I learned growing up with my Dad training his dog

Kamloops Gun Dog Club
    kamloopsgundogclub.org
    A very good resource along with links on their website to all of the retriever clubs in BC.
    They have an event coming up in 3 weeks and will be worth watching some very good dog work.
    Enjoy your training.
    Debby

Not directly addressing your question as I don't know those answers, but just wanted to praise your choice. My chocolate's sire came from Someday Retrievers (bred with a bitch in Aldergrove) and he has been a phenomenal dog for ten years now. Trained VERY easily when I did my part and used appropriate methods (BarkBusters sucks, by the way). Great with kids. Awesome pet and so much energy and joie de vivre but still settled down nicely after 18-24 months.

Good luck!

My advice is to get with people that know a lot about dogs. I have had a lot of success in many different aspects of my life because I'm good at making friends with other people that are good at what I want to be good at.

I would follow a proven system and follow it to T.
    I would start with
    Training a retriever puppy -Bill Hillman

Then move on to either of these once the dog has its adult teeth in (6months) ish.

Evan graham smart works
    Mike Lardy Total Retriever training

Those will both get you on the right path to a good finished retriever. My biggest piece of advice is DONT rush it, don't skip things and work at your own ( and dogs) pace. Don't compare your dog to other dogs and how quickly or slowly they pick up things. All dogs and owners are different and learn at a different pace. Those systems I quoted above start from about 6 months then go right to finished for the most part. IF you skip steps, you will be back visiting them at some point and it wont be nearly as much fun as it would have been the first time

Good luck and lastly enjoy the first 6months, they are awesome and puppies grow up way to fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Here is a little hint. Most trainers recommend force fetching once the pup has its adult teeth> I have had awesome success with "force breaking" them as soon as they come home. Use their instinct to chew. Put on a clean leather glove, give them your first 2 fingers, they will immediately take them in their mouth and want to chew. when they do, give the FETCH command. Then put your thumb under their jaw, apply enough pressure to stop the chewing and give the HOLD command. as soon as they quit chewing give the hold command again. then take your fingers from their mouth and give the GIVE command. I do this a couple of times a day transitioning up to a soft small bumper when the pup is big enough to take it in it's mouth. Do this and your pup will be almost completely "Force Broke" by the time serious training starts.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Here is a little hint. Most trainers recommend force fetching once the pup has its adult teeth> I have had awesome success with "force breaking" them as soon as they come home. Use their instinct to chew. Put on a clean leather glove, give them your first 2 fingers, they will immediately take them in their mouth and want to chew. when they do, give the FETCH command. Then put your thumb under their jaw, apply enough pressure to stop the chewing and give the HOLD command. as soon as they quit chewing give the hold command again. then take your fingers from their mouth and give the GIVE command. I do this a couple of times a day transitioning up to a soft small bumper when the pup is big enough to take it in it's mouth. Do this and your pup will be almost completely "Force Broke" by the time serious training starts.

Intresting I think I will give this a try myself

I just purchased a membership with Cornerstone Gundog Academy it's an online course with videos going over basically anything you would want to know. I'm just getting into it but the videos are all really well done they go as far as to use drones for better views of some of the drills. There are currently just over 100 videos and they keep adding more. I was planning on sending my dog to someday retrievers for 2-3 months but with this I think I can get most things on my own and even if I have to send her away for a month the videos and drills will help maintain her skills. It's not super cheap but if training your own finished dog is something you want to do I'd look into it.

I just purchased a membership with Cornerstone Gundog Academy it's an online course with videos going over basically anything you would want to know. I'm just getting into it but the videos are all really well done they go as far as to use drones for better views of some of the drills. There are currently just over 100 videos and they keep adding more. I was planning on sending my dog to someday retrievers for 2-3 months but with this I think I can get most things on my own and even if I have to send her away for a month the videos and drills will help maintain her skills. It's not super cheap but if training your own finished dog is something you want to do I'd look into it.

It's old but have a read of "Water Dog" by Richard A. Wolters.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"