Thread: Ground Squirrels in Kimberley / Cranbrook area

Ground Squirrels in Kimberley / Cranbrook area

Hi there,

I'm a very new hunter (still haven't made my first harvest yet) so I'm trying to take every opportunity to get outside and gain as much experience as possible. Especially prior to this fall's Deer / Elk season.

I'm looking to see if there are any Private Landowners out there in the Kimberley / Cranbrook area (I just moved to Marysville) who are willing to grant me access to their property to hunt Columbian Ground Squirrels (what everyone here seems to call Gophers). I have no intention of hunting any other animals on your property (for now) until a good rapport is established, since I'm sure many of the Private Landowners out there are getting hammered with requests for access to hunt Turkey & Deer. I'm also very interested in cooking up some squirrel to see how that is - I've heard a good squirrel fry is amazing.

I've also come to understand that the ground squirrels can pose quite a nuisance to farm land, so I'm hoping by having access to hunt them I'll also be helping the Landowner out.

I'm planning to go knock on some doors over the next couple of weeks to request access, but I thought I'd also put it out on this forum since the community here seems to be extremely helpful to new hunters.

Finally - I'm a strong believer that no good deed goes unpaid, so in return for access I'd be happy to help out around your property or even yet, I make a damn good loaf of banana bread that could be yours

Thanks for your consideration!

--
    Blair
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ground Squirrels in Kimberley / Cranbrook area

Squirrel that people eat is typically tree squirrel, which isn't bad at all. Gopher is disgusting from my personal experience lol don't eat them.

Good luck, hope you find a spot to shoot!

T

Thanks Travalanche.

Gopher is disgusting from my personal experience lol don't eat them.
    Good to know! I'm still tempted to give it a try at least once. I'm pretty driven to eat what I kill, otherwise - no point in taking its life. At least that's my personal outlook for hunting.

Cheers,
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by forb3s View Post
    Thanks Travalanche.

Good to know! I'm still tempted to give it a try at least once. I'm pretty driven to eat what I kill, otherwise - no point in taking its life. At least that's my personal outlook for hunting.

Cheers,
    I can understand that for sure I'm usually the same, but when it comes to gophers who lead to broken legs of cattle and destruction of farm land...blast away guilt free my friend, there are plenty of valid reasons for killing gophers without eating them, they are a pest. There is a difference between hunting and pest control. But your right, doesn't hurt to try, after all, I tried too. Just make sure you cook the hell out of them, they are a rodent and can carry a lot of different diseases.
    Last edited by Travalanche; 04-28-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forb3s View Post
    I'm pretty driven to eat what I kill, otherwise - no point in taking its life. At least that's my personal outlook for hunting.
    your opinion may change. I understand what you are saying, but you may find at some point in your life, there will be a time when this will not hold true anymore.
    a wolf or coyote kills your dog, cat.. or gets in the chicken coop or what ever scenario similar happens: you would be a far better man than I, as I would not even think about eating it.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts