Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's allowed in your household?

What's allowed in your household?

Do your dog(s) get the run of the household? So far I haven't let my 4 month old griff get up on any furniture/beds in the house and I only let her stay in the downstairs living area but not in the hallway where I keep all my shoes, gym gear, etc. I've heard is said that an owner may have a closer bond with his hunting dog if he allows the dog to sit with him on the couch but I've also heard it said that if you do,,,, or let the dog sleep on the bed, that the dog puts himself on equal footing with you. I don't know what to believe.

When I had my brittanies I didn't let them on the couches but it was mostly because they shed a lot of hair. The WPG don't,,,,,, so that's why I'm wondering about letting her sit up on the couch and what the pros and cons are if you do.

a) Are there certain rooms your dogs can't go in?
    b) Can your dog sit on the couch or lay on your bed?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What's allowed in your household?

My lab sleeps on my bed, puts his head in my lap at the dinner table, lays on the couch beside me. He also listens better than any dog I have ever had. Whatever you allow him to do is up to you but be consistent, and above all else be his master. As long as the dog knows you are pack leader and knows his place it doesn't matter what you do or don't allow him to do.
    Beer so much more than a breakfast drink.

My dog has the run of the house and he is allowed up on the couch and bed. To each his own and I understand not letting the dog on furniture because of dirt and hair. - Totally understand that. But those that say the dog will think they have equal status if it lies with you on the couch is nonsense. - If that's the case, then the dog already thinks he is of equal status, getting on the furniture is not the problem. My only caveat, is don't intentionally move for your dog and if your dog is in the way, then move him.

My dog falls asleep between my wife and I on the couch when we watch movies, sleeps in our room but we don't let her on the bed, and she's not allowed in our room during the day. She also is required to lay down while we eat dinner. Great dog, is a little stubborn (might be the german shepherd) but pretty obedient for the most part.

Our dog lives a better life than 90% of children in the ��
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

This lab is the first of many dogs I've owned that "WE'VE" let in the house.(wife insisted)
    He's allowed up on the living room furniture provided we've put a 'throw' or blanket
    over them first. He's also allowed up on our bed if we first cover the bedding with
    a thick flannel sheet. At night, he sleeps on his own bed in the corner of our bedroom
    or on the mat by my side of our bed. I firmly believe this constant daily intimate interaction
    has greatly enhanced his trust, bond, and 2-way communication with us that wouldn't
    be the case if he was kept in an outside kennel. People will, and do laugh when I tell them
    he has learned to go into the bathroom to have his butt wiped after doing his 'duty' outside
    so that there's no possibility of leaving unpleasant reminders on the furniture or rugs.
    He has learned to pull my socks off, fetch my slippers, pick up and bring to me whatever I
    point to, bring a rolled up towel from a special magazine rack to be used as a bib before he
    shares a treat with me (he slobbers too much), ask to go out or to come in, for permission
    to go up on the bed, helps carry in the groceries, mail, and newspaper, all which he likely
    wouldn't have learned if he was an outside dog. It's a 2-way street though as he gives so
    much joy and companionship, taking the place of grandchildren we won't have.
    Additionally, I don't believe that allowing him into our house, with all it's privileges, has
    negatively effected his retriever training....if anything it's allowed for better communication
    between him and me when out in the field. My first lab was kept in a large dog run, never
    allowed in a house, and was the best retriever I've owned....but he had literally 100's of hours
    of training compared to my current lab.

We have a 12 week old retriever right now and hes not allowed in one room, but thats because there is a grand piano in that room. He is aloud on the couch, but sleeps on the ground. like 325 said the dog probably lives better than most.

Our dogs, and the damn cat, sleep with us, sit on the couch with us, basically they are part of the family.
    We both like cuddly pets, other folks might feel differently.
    I'm looking at getting a nice, new recliner for me that will be easier on my aging back. First consideration is how it fits me, second consideration is how the fabric will hold up to the mutts.
    One advantage I've found with having the mutts on or in the bed is when the Wife gets back from her frequent mini vacations to Vancouver and finds red / blonde hairs in the bed, I can always claim they are from the dogs. I try to avoid brunettes when she's away.
    It's up to you, you'll find arguments on both sides of it, as per norm, reality is likely somewhere in the middle.

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

13 month old Elkhound, love her to death but she has a specific area of the house that she is allowed to be in, the Family Room and the Kitchen. Not allowed on the furniture, if you know how much Elkies shed you'll understand why. Don't wear dark clothes to my house and not expect to use the lint roller after.. I often sit on the floor in front of the couch and she comes and lays next to me, puts her head on my leg and I pet her or play with her there. While we eat dinner she either lays next to my chair or goes to her dog bed. We don't like the begging at the table routine. In the morning and evening I take care of her needs before my own, feeding her or letting her out to take care of business. We have a great relationship.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    This lab is the first of many dogs I've owned that "WE'VE" let in the house.(wife insisted)
    He's allowed up on the living room furniture provided we've put a 'throw' or blanket
    over them first. He's also allowed up on our bed if we first cover the bedding with
    a thick flannel sheet. At night, he sleeps on his own bed in the corner of our bedroom
    or on the mat by my side of our bed. I firmly believe this constant daily intimate interaction
    has greatly enhanced his trust, bond, and 2-way communication with us that wouldn't
    be the case if he was kept in an outside kennel. People will, and do laugh when I tell them
    he has learned to go into the bathroom to have his butt wiped after doing his 'duty' outside
    so that there's no possibility of leaving unpleasant reminders on the furniture or rugs.
    He has learned to pull my socks off, fetch my slippers, pick up and bring to me whatever I
    point to, bring a rolled up towel from a special magazine rack to be used as a bib before he
    shares a treat with me (he slobbers too much), ask to go out or to come in, for permission
    to go up on the bed, helps carry in the groceries, mail, and newspaper, all which he likely
    wouldn't have learned if he was an outside dog. It's a 2-way street though as he gives so
    much joy and companionship, taking the place of grandchildren we won't have.
    Additionally, I don't believe that allowing him into our house, with all it's privileges, has
    negatively effected his retriever training....if anything it's allowed for better communication
    between him and me when out in the field. My first lab was kept in a large dog run, never
    allowed in a house, and was the best retriever I've owned....but he had literally 100's of hours
    of training compared to my current lab.
    Great article, appreciated your thoughts and obvious love for you companion.
    Thank you for sharing.
    EBONIES Dad