Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dot sights and centerfire rifles

Re: Red Dot sights and centerfire rifles

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    Tried a search to no avail.
    Anyone tried a red dot on a high powered rifle. I have one on a 22 and its decent, but its a cheap one. Just wondering how they deal with recoil, no magnification and a 5 moa dot at 200 yards leaves a lot of room for error, plus no magnification on most makes it an atypical west coast option. Then there is the battery life.
    Talking to my old man and they are using them in the deer woods back home with some success, but that's usually close quarters in some thick stuff with deer on the move with dogs on their tail, so quick target acquisition is important.
    Just picked up an older BAR in 7mm thinking a red dot might be something new to try on this.
    there are a lot better options for close quarter scopes...try a 2X wide angle scope. My buddy has something like that on one of his bush guns, the scope is pretty far forward, has a huge field of view and is pretty well designed to allow you to pick up a moving target at close quarters. Sorry can't remember exactly what it was called but seems to be far superior to a red dot
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

looked at a ncstar at the cloverdale show today.....really don't think I'm going that way. Mount was cheap and hokey and that's as polite as I can be, and must have been 5 moa dot at least.

Haven't had a whole lot of field time with them. Enough range time with them to know that for me personally, target acquisition is quicker with a red dot over iron sights.

looked at a ncstar at the cloverdale show today.....really don't think I'm going that way. Mount was cheap and hokey and that's as polite as I can be, and must have been 5 moa dot at least.
    /
    NCStar stuff is garbage for the most part. You wouldn't want to base your opinion on red dots by examining a NC star product.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I use a few and really like them.

I have an Aimpoint comp4 on a Benelli MR1 that is awesome to shoot.

I also have a Burris Fastfire3 on a Trapper 30-30 that is really nice.

Both 3 MOA dots.

I like them and have shot and hit things at long ranges as well, but for fast close up situations, they are hard to beat.

The kids also have them on their 22's. Bushnell TRS25. They're pretty cheap though.

As much as I'm not a votex fan, my buddy has a Spark2 on a mini14 and for the $, it seems pretty good. He only had to send it back right away when it was new and they replaced it, but the second has been good for a few years now.
    Last edited by Drillbit; 04-30-2017 at 09:54 AM.

I like the aim point red dots. Especially the ones that have the option to switch between 2 and 4 moa dots

No need to be polite, they're absolute bottom of the barrel pos optics money can buy. As mentioned don't base you opinion of them on a cheap POS made by a 9 year old slave labourer, like 99% of optics you really get what you pay for.