Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
For many, the ultimate hunting trip is heading out with some buddies and/or relatives
to spend several days hunting from a base camp and enjoying the comraderies.
For others, it's obtaining the services of a guide or outfitter and heading into the far
reaching wilderness while relying on professional help.
Still others like to head up solo into the alpine.

For me, it has been heading out solo to hunt, fish, hike, and camp, hopefully without bumping
into another soul while I'm out there. It doesn't have to be up high or in any special place
as long as there's a small lake or pond with decent fish, lots of hiking opportunities, and a fairly
good chance to shoot a deer, hopefully with my bow. Ideally, the forests aren't too dry to allow
a cooking fire, and I'm able to find a pleasant place to camp where I can observe birds and wildlife
and I can sit quietly sipping my coffee or tea as I watch and listen to the woods become quiet as it
shuts down for the day. I don't need to drink alcohol to dull my senses and miss the subtle little
sounds, or the slightest flit of movement from animal or bird....that's what I'm there for in the first place.
You said it perfect Big Lew. Although my week long family trips I have made in the past have been curtailed for a little while,(can't pry myself away from my 2 year old for too long) I look forward to seeing the look on my daughters face when we crest the top of the first ridge while chasing Caribou in the Spatsizi and really get into wilderness. Due to my brother having a large section of his left foot amputated (diabetic) we have been doing a lot more local hunting trips around the boundary and are finding more than a few local camp and hunt sites that are off the local tourism website and infiltrators radars. (No offense to visitors, I was one and this place left such an impression on me after 3 trips from the LM we up and moved here). That being said I do thoroughly enjoy a solo hunt where it is just you and nature and have found myself planning more one-nighters in the bush this summer while scouting for the season this fall.