Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate yearly hunting trip.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

The ultimate yearly hunting trip.

For many, the ultimate hunting trip is heading out with some buddies and/or relatives
    to spend several days hunting from a base camp and enjoying the comraderies.
    For others, it's obtaining the services of a guide or outfitter and heading into the far
    reaching wilderness while relying on professional help.
    Still others like to head up solo into the alpine.

For me, it has been heading out solo to hunt, fish, hike, and camp, hopefully without bumping
    into another soul while I'm out there. It doesn't have to be up high or in any special place
    as long as there's a small lake or pond with decent fish, lots of hiking opportunities, and a fairly
    good chance to shoot a deer, hopefully with my bow. Ideally, the forests aren't too dry to allow
    a cooking fire, and I'm able to find a pleasant place to camp where I can observe birds and wildlife
    and I can sit quietly sipping my coffee or tea as I watch and listen to the woods become quiet as it
    shuts down for the day. I don't need to drink alcohol to dull my senses and miss the subtle little
    sounds, or the slightest flit of movement from animal or bird....that's what I'm there for in the first place.

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: The ultimate yearly hunting trip.

Most years we do a family trip to the Kootenays, my older brother and I and our kids usually 4 or five of us, it's always a great time seeing the kids harvest an Elk or Deer,

Then we always go to our family cabin in Nov-Dec hunting Mule Deer, and this is great family time, the end of the day hunting stories and planning the next day together.......always lots of laughs over dinner.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

The hunting trips with buddies seems to be getting less frequent ( not sure if as I get older I am turning into even more of an asshole, could be ) I anticipate more solo trips which I am ok with in similar situations like Big Lew mentions, but I might enjoy a beverage or two.
    I am getting myself equipped with gear that will help me do things by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LYKTOHUNT View Post
    The hunting trips with buddies seems to be getting less frequent ( not sure if as I get older I am turning into even more of an asshole, could be ) .
    ROFL...beauty

For me, its the 10-14 day adventure. Usually with my dad and a couple of his brothers and 1 of my best life long buds, but as I get a bit older Im hoping the old guys stay home and we can do some something crazy extreme like a 250km ride into a remote ass area or been thinking of a fly in recently as well. The longer the trip the better, and the more remote (less people) the better.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

My dad (67) and I make a 10-14 day sheep hunt every year, this season will be the 7th year straight, I book my year around our hunt, wouldn't trade it for the world. This fall will be taking us into 6-27, It's already keeping me up at night.

The last few years it has been the anual moose hunt with friends, non motorized. I am open to switching it up though, alpine mule deer or maybe goats...so much to do! Being out in country only accessible by foot or paddle is key, good buddies make the trip awesome

When I started hunting for the first few years I would do a 7-8 day deer hunt in September, but now that I have a little 4 year old boy I can't stay away from him more than about 5 days lol, I miss him too much..that being said, I always look forward to my 4-5 day deer/elk out of town hunt with a bro and/or a buddy....it's always fun exploring new areas in this great province..the rest of the year I mostly solo hunt local and love those every time..

Me my dad and brother in law go to my uncles in the kootneys for 10 days every year for elk we always have a great time. Hearing bugling at first light there is nothing better except the taste of beer after packing out a big bull.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby fan View Post
    most years we do a family trip to the kootenays, my older brother and i and our kids usually 4 or five of us, it's always a great time seeing the kids harvest an elk or deer.
    so your the invaders!! Lmao!

Yup, it's them damn coastal Vikings that are getting all the elk that the wolves and "stewards" have left in the Kootenays!!!

WF, is the worst cause he never misses with his Flach-built HVA rifles and the game is simply bedazzled by his hunting skills!!

Whadda ya gonna do, we old Kootenay geezers just cannot keep up!!!