Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: phone charger for hike in hunt??

Re: phone charger for hike in hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    a real camera that can take way better pics than a cell phone can,
    you must have an iphone haha
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    I would go solar as well, without the built in battery option. Will weigh less
    My older model
    50,000 Mah battery bank weighs 9.5 oz dimensions of 3/4"x 5"x 2-5/8" Fits easily in pocket. Newer models are a little smaller.

The old samsung S3 phone I use only to communicate with my Inreach SE. The phone battery is 2100mah. My Inreach Se battery is a 2450mah
    So doing the math my 50,000mah battery bank can re-charge my phone from complete discharge 23.81 times Or can re-charge my Inreach Se 20.41 times.
    In the real world this is never actually true. But it shows that I have more than enough juice to keep my communication electronics charged on a 14 day fly in hunt.

I have a solar chargeable power bank (just search solar power bank on amazon.ca and you'll see what I mean) as well as an actual solar charger. I also have the Costco Duracell mini banks and a couple of others in various sizes. Depends on where you're going, how long you're going for, and what anticipated conditions would be.

Keep in mind that with most power banks, the stated mAh is..."optimistic" at best.

Good thing about the solar charger is that, if the weather's good, you can just strap it to the outside of your pack during the day and it can be charging your device or, better yet, your power bank so that IT is charged when you need it.

Could also use a Biolite, I suppose.

It is fun watching someone check their phone every 10 minutes 100 miles from nothing. If you shut it off it will last a month. If you leave it on it will kill the battery with the roaming searches. Leave it in the truck and take a camera!!
    I live in the middle of nowhere and love the no cell service symbol.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I have a Dark Energy Poseidon. Have an Anker 13000 mAh as well but its a bit finicky, doesn't always charge. The dark energy is really good, water proof, drop proof, holds it charge. and made by hunters for hunters. Ive thought about a solar charger but if on a sheep hunt and you get bad weather and no sun its useless weight.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    It is fun watching someone check their phone every 10 minutes 100 miles from nothing. If you shut it off it will last a month. If you leave it on it will kill the battery with the roaming searches. Leave it in the truck and take a camera!!
    I live in the middle of nowhere and love the no cell service symbol.
    I can have much more robust GPS (including vast swaths of aerial imagery) with my phone than I can with any other device. Maybe you don't like GPS either, and that's fine...but it's not for everyone.

Additionally, some of us don't have the types of jobs that allow us to truly "fully" unplug, so I have an InReach for messaging. Sure glad I had it last year as it prevented an issue that could have ended up either resulting in me having to cut my trip very short or possibly being sued for half a million dollars. (bank's fault, not mine, but I still had to resolve it...glad I was in an area where I happened on a high knoll and had sufficient signal to get on the horn with RBC so that they fixed the problem)

Unfortunate consequence of profession choice? Probably. Wish it wasn't that way, but it is. Although, I do agree that it's better not to be hooked up to it the entire time you're out...but I do still need to be reachable.

The only reason I would take my phone would be for using a phonescope with my spotter. Can take some decent long range video....and running video uses battery life pretty good.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    The only reason I would take my phone would be for using a phonescope with my spotter. Can take some decent long range video....and running video uses battery life pretty good.
    I use mine for this too and pics. I have a small solar panel I attatch to my pack and keep iphone in airplane mode. For some strange reason my iphone battery lasts forever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    you must have an iphone haha
    How did you guess???
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

I have a dedicated old garbage S3 phone that I use only with my Inreach. Paired with the Inreach, it so much easier/quicker to communicate using my Inreach SE. My Inreach phone combo has Saved me a couple times now. Once when My Sat phone crapped out, I was still able to contact Janet at Alpine Aviation to change our pickup date. was even able to contact Airport inn in Whitehorse to Change our room Booking. All communications done only using my old cell phone paired with the Inreach. I consider them a must When heading back in where no Cell is avcailable. And having a 50,000mah battery backup to keep them powered,all in a nice small 9 oz package makes it a no brainer for me to have.