Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Re: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

-- No body likes changes to the norms of anything it seems but change causes attention to boost, focus on subject and try to get hunters together with the Ministry's plans and projects.
    -- trust is important to have in the Ministry that they will try their dangest to get things right
    I've been in BC since birth and hunted all my life in region 3 up north thompson valley.
    -- The management has been good so far all my life so I don't expect it to take a sudden dive.
    It's history to look at, all the data ever done and collected over a hundred years on Kammy country mule deer, by hunters themselves who know where they hunt.
    -- As long as the migration routes are good from back n forth to keeping our water good.
    Protect Dewdrop out of Kammy, the whole north side of Kamloops Lake, and from Kammy to Clearwater keep that North Thompson River system pure and natural as possible.
    Jel -- Reg 3 is the most pleasant region to hunt for multitudes who love mule deer hunting --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 05-03-2017 at 06:08 AM. Reason: REGION 3 Mule Deer Wild Country

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    this survey concerns me....

limiting harvest isnt going to fix it if the habit is trashed.

im totally in agreeance that there should be a few specific zones designated for LEH hunting of "trophy" animals... but thats just from what i understand of american conservation

we all know that in order to chase big mature animals, they have to be left to grow... but the genetics need to be there as well.

screwing with the seasons will not stop poachers that WILL take an animal regardless of season or region because they feel it is their god givin right to harvest. let alone all the guys who have a "friend" who will say that they shot it (you bet your ass that was an FN reference, i see it every year in region 3)

there is a massive amount of terrain n region 3 decimated by logging and very little of the roads have been properly deactivated. it's a road hunters wet dream

we all know the wolves are on a HUGE increase, but how many of us actually hunt them?

this survey is totally geared towards cutting down on hunting in that region.... but i dont think its truly the answer

im having a hard time filling it out because it seems totally loaded....
    Rad, I don't know where ashton creek bridge is but if that is where you live and if there is good hunting imagine your backyard going to LEH to appease some small (minded) hunters.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    we all know the wolves are on a HUGE increase, but how many of us actually hunt them?
    How many wolves are harvested while out hunting other species compared to going out and targeting them? Probably close to 100% I'd bet. Not including the trappers.

That at is a main reason we need more hunters in the bush. Knock the predators back. Coyotes do more damage than wolves when it comes to fawns also. Shoot'em all

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Rad, I don't know where ashton creek bridge is but if that is where you live and if there is good hunting imagine your backyard going to LEH to appease some small (minded) hunters.
    LEH seems to attract attention to certain areas. I hope people don't think that because they are local they will have better odds at drawing these "Trophy Tags". Hunters province wide will be applying for those tags if they ever were to be pushed through. Hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    LEH seems to attract attention to certain areas. I hope people don't think that because they are local they will have better odds at drawing these "Trophy Tags". Hunters province wide will be applying for those tags if they ever were to be pushed through. Hope not
    Agree 100%, and the bigger and more frequent trophies start coming out of the LEH area's the more applicants will apply, thus potentially reducing odds even more.

I believe in scientific management with targeted population goals/numbers in place. I also believe based on my anecdotal experience that big deer will be found in quality habitat where there is limited human access.
    Last edited by Seeker; 05-03-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    How many wolves are harvested while out hunting other species compared to going out and targeting them? Probably close to 100% I'd bet. Not including the trappers.

That at is a main reason we need more hunters in the bush. Knock the predators back. Coyotes do more damage than wolves when it comes to fawns also. Shoot'em all
    I'm all for helping out a few ungulates here and there with some predator control, but the researchers that presented on the proposed mule deer study near Westbridge cited research that illustrates, wolves, coyotes, cougars, etc (predators) are not the limiting factor in "deer" population dynamics. Once again, that honour goes to habitat. Larger ungulates such as elk are reportedly more prone to the predators, but deer are resilient. Hopefully this study over the next few years will verify those findings and provide BC wildlife managers with valuable knowledge in order to develop initiatives to aid in reestablishing mule deer populations in regions that have seen recent declines.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I'm all for helping out a few ungulates here and there with some predator control, but the researchers that presented on the proposed mule deer study near Westbridge cited research that illustrates, wolves, coyotes, cougars, etc (predators) are not the limiting factor in "deer" population dynamics. Once again, that honour goes to habitat. Larger ungulates such as elk are reportedly more prone to the predators, but deer are resilient. Hopefully this study over the next few years will verify those findings and provide BC wildlife managers with valuable knowledge in order to develop initiatives to aid in reestablishing mule deer populations in regions that have seen recent declines.
    True dat.

In 21 studies on the effects on mule deer of predator reduction, only one study showed a positive MD population response.

Interestingly, one study also showed a MD population decrease after the preds were gunned to miniscule numbers. The researchers' comments: habitat, habitat, habitat.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

The only way to bring the deer numbers up is to first find out whats killing them, and get rid of what ever it is. Cougar, Wolves and Coyotes and you and me. If you closed a area completely down for deer hunting, they'd come back big time, but so would the predators, so now, to get rid of the predators you have to get rid of the idiots that stand up and scream every time there's a animal cull! If we humans want to eat meat, we have to get rid of the animals that like a fine deer roast too, there's simply not enough animals to go around the way I see it. We need more Cat hunters, Wolf hunters and Coyote hunters, so get out and do your part!

-- The Ministry got Skull Mtn happening, that in itself was a winner, b4 it got ruined by human activity's.
    -- let's keep these types of special habitat for wintering mules wild as possible, no residents or ranchers. Keep it rock solid as natural as possible.
    -- Keep it Crown for the control, limit cattle to a minimum lease and it can't stop hunters access if they have one
    -- With new high technology and devices with aps and hook-ups try some new connections with mules and the new tech, devices, cameras, id, origin, follow, end, back etc.
    Jel -- let's hone in haha on the monster mules -- reg 3 mules --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 05-04-2017 at 05:11 AM.

I grew up in 3-12. yes im local

we all know and agree sumthin needs to change.

cutting back on the october killing spree might help.

knocking back the predation, and improving destroyed habitat will CERTAINLY help more

bjg deer dont grow up in cutblocks. The dumb ones gettin harvested by road hunters arnt the entire genetic pool.

but where do the ones with the genes for "trophy" antlers end up?

the deepest darkest hell hole in the area...
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...