Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Re: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Results of this survey are out....although they are in PDF and I don't know how to convert them to a format that would work here.

Anyone else technically savvy???
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Mist View Post
    Only that hunter pressure has nearly doubled in "recent" years.
    Survey says "Hunting Has Little Effect On game Populations"
    In yet Access is a top Driver.

I am so confused.........

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    I don't see why it can't be reported within 10 days after harvest.

But let's be honest, if this were to happen it would take the guess work out of harvest data. Which I see as being a good thing but others may not. I'm interested to know how much money used to conduct this survey? From start to finish, coming up with questionnaire and sending out by post. I don't think it's useful information either. Waste of money. It's not science based. But ministry is great at making decisions not science based...
    Hurley Report

MANDATORY REPORTING1

the nut shell
    The overarching management direction we take from this survey is that hunters are generally satisfied with the status quo but are also generally dissatisfied with hunter crowding and the abundance of bucks, but recognize that a trade-off exists between hunting opportunity and the abundance of bucks. When considering buck harvest management approaches for Region 3 the majority of hunters would prefer to see current seasons maintained and focus on implementing other management actions (e.g., access management, habitat enhancement, winter range protection and predator management, etc.) to benefit mule deer and mule deer hunting. If hunting pressure and buck harvests need to be reduced through regulatory options, modification of the provincial bag limit was the preferred approach.
    The following are a summary of the main conclusions derived from the survey:
    Current Management Considerations
    1. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters are dissatisfied with the abundance of bucks in Region 3, and Bonaparte GMZ hunters are more satisfied than Nicola GMZ hunters, but the majority of hunters are satisfied with their hunting success and nearly 70% desired to maintain current buck ratio objectives and current seasons for bucks, likely in recognition of the trade-off that exists between hunting opportunity and buck abundance. A high proportion of those hunters (~50%) also identified that non-regulatory and regulatory management actions (habitat enhancement, access management, and predator management) should be implemented to benefit buck hunting. Further, although hunters expressed dissatisfaction with the number of bucks and mature bucks, very few hunters desired to see buck harvest management approaches that would promote a high abundance of mature bucks (i.e., trophy management) or provide for an overall lower abundance of bucks.
    2. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters are dissatisfied with the level of hunter crowding they experience in Region 3 but only 45% of hunters desired to see more access management in the region. We suspect there was difficulty in interpreting this term because we did not define what access management encompasses (i.e., physical road management vs. Wildlife Act regulation). Future hunter surveys of this nature should clearly define this term to better understand hunter desires.
    3. The highest level of support for broad management approaches to assist with managing buck harvests was for modification of provincial bag limits. The patterns of buck harvest suggest that black-tailed deer harvest should be considered when developing provincial bag limits designed to reduce mule deer buck harvests to have maximum effect. A relatively high proportion of Region 3 mule deer hunters (> 40%) indicate they hunt mule and/or black-tailed deer bucks in
    multiple regions, which is important to understand to assess effects of provincial bag limits on harvests and pressure.
    4. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters are satisfied with current “Any Buck” and “ 4 Point Buck” season structures and do not want to see them shorter or longer. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters do not want to see a longer youth season for mule deer.
    5. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters desire to see maintenance of current levels of antlerless hunting for mule deer in Region 3 but a relatively high proportion (nearly 30%) desired to see increased antlerless hunting.
    6. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters are satisfied with the number of deer they see in Region 3 and the overall quality of mule deer hunting in Region 3. Satisfaction is higher for hunters in the Bonaparte GMZ than the Nicola GMZ.
    7. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters are satisfied with current harvest levels for white-tailed deer and over 50% of hunters believe more should be harvested. Approximately 15% of Region 3 mule deer hunters believe harvests of white-tailed deer should be reduced.
    Future Management Considerations
    1. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters believe more management focus should be directed at habitat protection and management (i.e., winter range), habitat enhancement and predator management.
    2. The majority of Region 3 mule deer hunters would rather see adjacent regions liberalize their seasons to harmonize as opposed to Region 3 restricting mule deer seasons, but if season restrictions were to be implemented in Region 3, the highest level of support was to modify November seasons as opposed to October seasons. Within November, the highest support was for implementing a rut closure from November 11th-20th as opposed to shortening seasons to November 10th (similar to Region 4 & or 30th(similar to Region 5).
    3. The age distribution of Region 3 mule deer hunters suggest mule deer hunter numbers could significantly decline in the future (~8% under age of 30; ~65% over the age of 50).

4. Trail cameras appear to be used by a minor number of hunters and not likely to be of management concern at this point.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 12-15-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Thanks for posting up the summary boxhitch.

Overall, it seems like the majority of surveyed hunters understand the driving factors on mule deer.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Truth is it is what I say all the time BC hunters fear change and the loss of even a day in the field

Hence why BC is behind most of North America

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Truth is it is what I say all the time BC hunters fear change and the loss of even a day in the field

Not trying to be a dick but iirc you moved here recently from Alberta yet all you do is complain about how ****ed up things are and a long list of what's wrong with BC hunters. Maybe try looking for a little positive once in a while? Or ... /rant
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Care to post up some examples? Behind in what? Habitat? Growing monster mulies? Woof culls?
    Not many landscapes compare to BC , if any. Stuff for another thread maybe.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Boxhitch....thanks for posting up the info.
    I was wondering what the outcome was, and agree, some of the questioning was a little confusing from what I remember.
    Glad that "they" saw that as well.
    What I didn't like was being "forced" to answer that question on:
    "I you had to choose, would you choose closing days in November or altering October" etc.
    I just wanted to say..."neither"....
    Don't force me to give a response to something I would never want to in the 1st place...that one sucked...IMO
    I am glad to see that many hunters however did concur that habitat and pred is the major concern...AND....
    that other Regions should be open at the same time etc.

How about we "actually try to enhance habitat first" this time, before we go the route you think would be most beneficial.??
    Sorry, but, it used to be that there were "burns" that happened in the 70's to help wildlife from what a retired
    Kamloops Bio told me.
    Something that rarely happens now....and now, I think they will just let Mother Nature do what it did this past
    summer.
    Or maybe they will smarten up, and see that doing prescribed burns are actually cheaper then the costs are to
    fight them like it did!!??....if they smart enough to figure that out??
    But, again....lets try a different approach then what has been happening for 30+ years.
    Instead of Restrictions and closures.....how about "fixing it up" and dropping some dogs first.