Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Re: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    If we are below the minimum buck to doe ratios, by all means, change the seasons. If we aren't, then there is no need to change things.
    Since the majority of the mule deer bucks are shot during the any buck season, the best way would be to shorten that part of the season.

SSS
    No need to change seasons in attempt to increase population.

4pt season is the management tool I don't care for at all. Promotes poor genetics and than add the issue of under size bucks shot and left. This was an issue last year in 3 32 to the point it was reported on

Other than days in the field for hunters what positives come from 4pt? Deer are not benefiting from it

like I said multiple options depends on the goal in mind.

Well I may as well chime in, i have been hunting the Kamloops area for 7 years now and the deer numbers in my opinion are great, we always get a nice 4pt except this year I missed a toad buck which ill be back for this season, usually out there in a day we will see lots of does lots of spikes 2s and 3s sometimes 100 deer so I don't think there are too many tags, for leh doe because it seems there are tons, there are roads on gstone where you can drive during the fall and see 50 does standing beside the car easy.

i am also hunting region 8 with the rut closures which is also fine with me, I still feel we have the most insane seasons here for hunting to give just about anyone an opportunity to hunt any specie, even if leh mule deer happened I'm sure would be 99%-100% success in drawing and just use for more income

i am however in favour of making trophy management areas where it is leh mule deer for big bucks, not that you can't find big mulies anywhere in bc I think it would be fun to apply for a hunt in a region where you know you and few others have the tags to hunt the deer that are potentially massive, again that is all of bc you just need to find the big ones but that's just a side thought with the trophy management areas

i think reg 3 is an amazing place and I don't think the govt is conspiring to make it all leh that would be quite durastic, and all who say the pressure is insane in reg 3 I have never idea what your talking about in the past 7 years the only busy time is opening buck season, we are hard pressed to find others in the woods most of the time and have never been hassled or bothered by the amount of lowermainlanders up there, and we spend a ton of time in the bush. There's lots of space and deer for everyone you just have to get out there and hunt

Great to hear steelpulse.....

In my plan of all leh for muley in 3, the Ministry again uses this fine mule deer region to establish a draw like I was saying. A fun up to date data base on line. Show picture of a stud mule buck and a doe standing together on a semi-open Kamloops ridge to cause intere$t and want.
    Also the prices go up for application to apply for these super duper mule deer hunts.
    These mule deer live here in reg 3 that's why the Ministry uses the area and the venison to receive it's due $hare. Hunters $hould be happy to support their Ministry who is managing all of our wildlife.
    Also I would set up a donation system for those who wood love to support the Ministry this way.
    Jel -- Anything is possible if we all pull and push togedder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    No need to change seasons in attempt to increase population.

4pt season is the management tool I don't care for at all. Promotes poor genetics and than add the issue of under size bucks shot and left. This was an issue last year in 3 32 to the point it was reported on

Other than days in the field for hunters what positives come from 4pt? Deer are not benefiting from it

like I said multiple options depends on the goal in mind.
    Feel the same here. I said 'change' (ie. 'shorten') the any buck season(if needed)...not eliminate it.
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 04-28-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    There were a few points in the presentation .... and I believe I have a good understanding of what was said .
    SSS says it very well in post #51 , this is what they have been doing .... when the buck /doe ratio is low - more LEH on does to get the right ratio .... regardless of population . repeat until zero . Not specific to deer or region 3
    While buck/doe ratio's can play a role in determining harvest ... at the moment its pretty much a useless tool without knowing all the other factors ... ie overall pop, habitat , etc .
    Tell me I got that wrong ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    This is the existing way of management that the BCWF is trying to change .... I don't know how you can get it right in your previous post (#51) and then flip right back to this ?
    We still have an obligation to stay above the minimum buck to doe and bull to cow ratios here in BC. That won't change regardless if we can fix the system that is broken. If we are below the minimum ratios then restrict the seasons..if we meet or exceed the ratios then leave the seasons or possibly lessen the restrictions where possible.

Fixing the big picture shouldn't change that.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

D, You can't just pick out one detail from the whole picture.

The presentation was about how the current action of playing and juggling hunting seasons does nothing to put more critters on the ground.
    'Managing to zero' is the focus on hunter opportunity and regulation, all while the population numbers keep declining,
    Managing people is insignificant and pointless when compared to doing what is needed to truly actually increase a species number.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Feel the same here. I said 'change' (ie. 'shorten') the any buck season(if needed)...not eliminate it.
    Any buck season I personally view as what drives most mule deer hunters in BC so I would say don't touch it unless it is a must. Personally believe BC overall could benefit if BC changed how it went about managing mule deer hunting opurtunity.

big one I would like to see is the prov mule deer limit as one buck one doe(LEH doe). This does not effect hunting days in the field or restricting age class choice. I experienced in other areas when there is a 1 buck prov limit it does cause a portion of hunters to be more selective that would normally burn their first tag on any buck than switch regions and hold out with their next tag.

It seems to promote a higher buck ratio well slightly increasing % of mature bucks

would like to see 4pt season gone myself and believe it is very possible but would still come at a cost of days in the field or restrictions like archery.

Like I stated earlier there is lots of options but what is the goal and what hunters want to see is the issue

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    D, You can't just pick out one detail from the whole picture.

The presentation was about how the current action of playing and juggling hunting seasons does nothing to put more critters on the ground.
    'Managing to zero' is the focus on hunter opportunity and regulation, all while the population numbers keep declining,
    Managing people is insignificant and pointless when compared to doing what is needed to truly actually increase a species number.
    That's how I saw it as well .

I have been reading over these comments as i received the survey as well. I normally hunt REG 8 and am OK with the season as it is for the most part. I usually hunt the 4 point season (less hunters out there) and if I get skunked I concentrate on a meat buck during the late bow season. Interesting reading Steelpulse's comment. It reminded me of when REG 8-3 in the Ashnola was 4 point only from Sept 10 to Oct 31 and that was it, it was considered a trophy area. I saw more bucks in those years than does. Some times you would see groups of 12 or more from spikes to non typical too many to count points. We would be hunting sheep and watch a couple of 4x4s off to the side for entertainment. Go shed hunting- you could pick up more massive sheds then you could carry, I have many. When they harmonized this area to the rest of REG 8 years ago the population seemed to vanish and the big boys seemed to be few and far between. The winter shed hunting grounds dried up. A certain group also helped with the population demise as well though.

So I guess is what I'm saying is in that area the 4 point limited season seemed to work and had a healthy population of bucks with no degenerating effect on genetics. I always saw massive 4-5-7 point bucks if you knew where and when to look, some times it was just the case of going in the rut (off season) just to see what was out there. But then again that was then and this is now, things change.