Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Re: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

They don't need 20 questions etc to ask if the season should stay open or leh.
    1 or the other.
    than an open paragraph to tell them what we think....
    which seems to be to open up reg 5 and 8 to the same times....period.

Oh, and where is the return envelope!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Nice try at a deflection ...I didn't miss anything.
    I think you did.

You missed the whole point of the presentation, if that's your takeaway.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Instead of tampering with the hunting seasons, why not increase the costs of tags and put that money back into conservation to address the actual issues. In the US they have a levy on hunting and fishing related purchases which goes directly back into conservation, why not do that here.

And why not significantly increase the licences and tags for NON-resident hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Changes to hunting seasons would have little impact to overall mule deer population yes. They do have the ability to affect the quality of the hunt and ratios in my opinion. Habitat is about population

I would say changes could be made with little impact to hunters loosing interest or lose of funding. There is a large portion of hunters that have little to no interest in 4pt seasons. But if you impact any buck that would be an issue

Lots of different options when it comes to managing hunting seasons and goals regarding population make up. Tons of places in North America with different management goals/styles and hunters still get out

it comes down to what one wants to see. Hunters fear change and BC hunters seem to fear it most.
    If we are below the minimum buck to doe ratios, by all means, change the seasons. If we aren't, then there is no need to change things.
    Since the majority of the mule deer bucks are shot during the any buck season, the best way would be to shorten that part of the season.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    In the US they have a levy on hunting and fishing related purchases which goes directly back into conservation, why not do that here.
    The Pitman-Robertson Act, dating to 1937 if you can believe that.

But why stop there. All outdoor recreation uses the same turf as hunters and anglers. Bikers, watchers, paddlers, sliders, all leave a footprint

some insight
    @ ASLA.org outdoor recreation economy report
    knock a couple of zeros off for Canadian equivalent
    Last edited by boxhitch; 04-28-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    I think you did.

You missed the whole point of the presentation, if that's your takeaway.
    There were a few points in the presentation .... and I believe I have a good understanding of what was said .
    SSS says it very well in post #51 , this is what they have been doing .... when the buck /doe ratio is low - more LEH on does to get the right ratio .... regardless of population . repeat until zero . Not specific to deer or region 3
    While buck/doe ratio's can play a role in determining harvest ... at the moment its pretty much a useless tool without knowing all the other factors ... ie overall pop, habitat , etc .
    Tell me I got that wrong ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    If we are below the minimum buck to doe ratios, by all means, change the seasons. If we aren't, then there is no need to change things.
    Since the majority of the mule deer bucks are shot during the any buck season, the best way would be to shorten that part of the season.

SSS
    This is the existing way of management that the BCWF is trying to change .... I don't know how you can get it right in your previous post (#51) and then flip right back to this ?

more LEH on does to get the right ratio
    If , IF that was the reason for doe leh it could be a problem. Check out why female harvests of any species is allowed.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    If , IF that was the reason for doe leh it could be a problem. Check out why female harvests of any species is allowed.
    No If's I am going by what was said at the Town hall meeting ... You go tell him /them they are wrong I agree that IS what has been going on .

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    There were a few points in the presentation .... and I believe I have a good understanding of what was said .
    SSS says it very well in post #51 , this is what they have been doing .... when the buck /doe ratio is low - more LEH on does to get the right ratio .... regardless of population . repeat until zero . Not specific to deer or region 3
    While buck/doe ratio's can play a role in determining harvest ... at the moment its pretty much a useless tool without knowing all the other factors ... ie overall pop, habitat , etc .
    Tell me I got that wrong ...
    You got that wrong.

Perhaps someone in the audience said that.

There was nothing in the presentation that suggested using antlerless harvest to restore sex ratios.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !