Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

So, I received a Regional Mule Deer Survey 2017 for Reg 3.
    Anyone else on here??

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Reg 3 Mule Deer Survey 2017

I received it today. Every question was oriented towards a pending reduction in mule deer hunting opportunity. Seemed more of a question about how to implement the reduction than if it should be done.

This doesn't sound good !

I always thought they should look at making regon 8 and 5 seasons more along the lines of what 3 has going on to lighten any pressure in the early and late season. Time to get back to the way it was because the way it is surly hasn't helped fix any problems with the population.

8 and 5 openings are more conservative than 3 , and thats not helping the situation in those regions.
    Regulated Hunters aren't the problem

Any chance there was some supporting data offered with the survey?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    8 and 5 openings are more conservative than 3 , and thats not helping the situation in those regions.
    Regulated Hunters aren't the problem

Any chance there was some supporting data offered with the survey?
    Only that hunter pressure has nearly doubled in "recent" years.

Got it in today's mail.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I'm trying to say we need to lengthen seasons in 5 and 8 to match that of 3. As it could reduce the early and late season pressure.

I heard these were coming out. I did not receive one.

Recently at a Fish and Game meeting we had a couple of region 3 biologists attend to discuss local deer, moose and sheep numbers. They advised that this survey was coming out. They are seeking more info on hunter harvest. I find it extremely silly that the only hard data the bio's have had to work with the last dozen years is the hunter harvest forms that get sent out every season. Even this survey, why is going out via mail? If they want data from hunters, in this day and age send out an email survey to every hunter. Voluntary to answer. I believe majority would fill it out no questions asked.

They are focused on how to "maintain" stable wildlife numbers in the region. This is a problem in itself. Why are we trying to maintain numbers and not trying to bring them back like they once were. ????

They discussed the future of region 3, and how to re-enforce mule deer numbers. Suggesting decreasing bag limit, shortening seasons, rut-closure like region 5. Currently they don't know the answer. They don't find evidence that any of that is working; so they are seeking statistics to better the future of mule deer.

They mentioned a stat that something like 90% of the mule deer in region 3 are shot during the month of October during any buck.