Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce SHV or Swaro Z5??

Nightforce SHV or Swaro Z5??

Looking at either the Nightforce SHV 5-20 or a Swarovski Z5. Anybody have any input other than the obvious? Nightforce is heavy but beefy, Swaro is a lot lighter and glass seems a little better... Not too concerned about the weight though.
    Any input greatly appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Nightforce SHV or Swaro Z5??

I can't compare to the NF, but I do find the Z5 a bit difficult to "get behind."

Have both, great glass in both of them like you said z5 is lighter but the shv has a 30mm tube for more adjustment and I'd recommend the moa reticle if you are planning on doing some long range shooting. Both are great scopes can't go wrong with either of them.

I don't own a Nightforce but......
    This might convince you.

https://youtu.be/ErjW_XNpkV4

Have two shv scopes and really like them.

That's hilarious... Pretty much why I like them....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    I don't own a Nightforce but......
    This might convince you.

https://youtu.be/ErjW_XNpkV4

Used to run an nxs 5-22. Was way too bulky and heavy for what I needed. Juat overkill in all departments. Sold that and bought the shv 3-10 x 42. By far the best scope iv ever had the pleasure of using. I really like the capped turrets for peace of mind knowing they haven't been bumped while hiking. Also the parallax is marked in yardage which makes life easy. Just my opinion but the 5-22 was way too much magnification for me. I took a mountain goat at 700 yards and still only had the scope on 15. The minim 5.5 power was way too much for timber hunting and close encounters. But that's just me! In the end I'd say the shv glass in on par with the nxs and have no complaints whatsoever with the scope.

save funds for a Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have a Z5 5-25 with bt, 4w reticle and get accurate hits to 700. Don't confuse the NXS line with the SHV because they aren't on the same level and I doubt they put the shv through the same torture test. If the shv was a better option than the Z5 I'd have one.
    Last edited by 300rum700; 04-24-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    I have a Z5 5-25 with bt, 4w reticle and get accurate hits to 700. Don't confuse the NXS line with the SHV because they aren't on the same level and I doubt they put the shv through the same torture test. If the shv was a better option than the Z5 I'd have one.
    Says they do, all Nightforce scopes. However one thing to be aware about NightForce SHV scopes is the eye relief which maybe an issue depending upon the caliber of the rifle. I have a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50MM F1 on a Tikka CTR in 308 which I am very satisfied with.
    Last edited by rhino62; 04-24-2017 at 06:30 PM.