Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future hunting partner and family member

Future hunting partner and family member

Hi all,

I am considering getting a dog at some point next year. I just had to put my dog Buckley down a few weeks back and to be frank I miss the companionship, but im not emotionally ready to have another dog for a bit.

So I am looking at getting on a wait list for a puppy that I'll be ready for sometime mid to late next year. I know I want a lab (had one as a boy) and I'd love to have a retriever for waterfowl hunting. But I need to educate myself on training techniques long before a puppy arrives.

I don't want a robotic hunting machine that really is not a great family dog. So if anyone has advice on training systems that cater to a well rounded Hunter and family dog, I'd like to hear from you.

I will be looking at a purebred pup from good lines. I don't mind spending the $$ and have just started looking at breeders.
    ( please PM me if you have good or bad experience from a specific breeder, I will keep all information to myself).

Also, what are your thoughts on male/female.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Future hunting partner and family member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Hi all,

I am considering getting a dog at some point next year. I just had to put my dog Buckley down a few weeks back and to be frank I miss the companionship, but im not emotionally ready to have another dog for a bit.

So I am looking at getting on a wait list for a puppy that I'll be ready for sometime mid to late next year. I know I want a lab (had one as a boy) and I'd love to have a retriever for waterfowl hunting. But I need to educate myself on training techniques long before a puppy arrives.

I don't want a robotic hunting machine that really is not a great family dog. So if anyone has advice on training systems that cater to a well rounded Hunter and family dog, I'd like to hear from you.

I will be looking at a purebred pup from good lines. I don't mind spending the $$ and have just started looking at breeders.
    ( please PM me if you have good or bad experience from a specific breeder, I will keep all information to myself).

Also, what are your thoughts on male/female.

Cheers
    Any training system, properly applied in conjunction with proper socialization should produce a well rounded family oriented/hunting dog.........the key here is balance and being fair to the dog during training.

The dogs you see that are more robotic and not really enjoying themselves, are probably poorly trained by someone who doesn't know how........and this includes many so-called professional trainers.

The training methods most used by knowlegable Retriever people are: Mike Lardy, Bill Hillman, Evan Graham, and a few others. They are fairly similar and will produce a well trained, happy Retriever if properly followed.

As far as "breeders" are concerned, there are not very many I would purchase a dog from because of the emphasis on profit at the expense of ethics. In addition, some breeders charge premium prices for mediocre breeding.

When the time comes I can provide knowlegable feedback as I have no horse in race.

At the bare minimum, insure that any dog you purchase comes from lines where both parents have been tested for:

-OFA Certification of hips and elbows with a minimum of a good or better rating on both parents.
    -CERF....this test rules out certain genetic eye diseases
    -EIC (exercise induced collapse)......a horrible affliction brought about by poor breeding practices......look it up.
    -CNM ( Centronucular Myopathy).....similar to mad cow disease........again....look it up.

In addition to the above, insure that there is no history of Cruciate ligament tears in either parent as this is thought to have a genetic component to it.

Ive had both Males and Females and talent wise, there isn't a lot of difference. Females (much as I hate to admit it)
    tend to be smarter and easier to train but can be a bit "soft" when compared to males.....not always.

I prefer males because they don't come into heat at inconvenient times.....

The above barely scratches the surface of the things I would look for but will give you a starting point. Good luck and if you need specific advice PM me.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Any training system, properly applied in conjunction with proper socialization should produce a well rounded family oriented/hunting dog.........the key here is balance and being fair to the dog during training.

The dogs you see that are more robotic and not really enjoying themselves, are probably poorly trained by someone who doesn't know how........and this includes many so-called professional trainers.

The training methods most used by knowlegable Retriever people are: Mike Lardy, Bill Hillman, Evan Graham, and a few others. They are fairly similar and will produce a well trained, happy Retriever if properly followed.

As far as "breeders" are concerned, there are not very many I would purchase a dog from because of the emphasis on profit at the expense of ethics. In addition, some breeders charge premium prices for mediocre breeding.

When the time comes I can provide knowlegable feedback as I have no horse in race.

At the bare minimum, insure that any dog you purchase comes from lines where both parents have been tested for:

-OFA Certification of hips and elbows with a minimum of a good or better rating on both parents.
    -CERF....this test rules out certain genetic eye diseases
    -EIC (exercise induced collapse)......a horrible affliction brought about by poor breeding practices......look it up.
    -CNM ( Centronucular Myopathy).....similar to mad cow disease........again....look it up.

In addition to the above, insure that there is no history of Cruciate ligament tears in either parent as this is thought to have a genetic component to it.

Ive had both Males and Females and talent wise, there isn't a lot of difference. Females (much as I hate to admit it)
    tend to be smarter and easier to train but can be a bit "soft" when compared to males.....not always.

I prefer males because they don't come into heat at inconvenient times.....

The above barely scratches the surface of the things I would look for but will give you a starting point. Good luck and if you need specific advice PM me.
    X2. Well said
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
    Having an opinion is kind of like having a penis. It's fine that you have one, and its fine that I have one, but you don't see me trying to cram mine down your throat.....

There is a two types of Labradors, English and North American. As mentioned here before, English type is a craftsman and North American is a powerful and dynamic athlete. Research them and chose adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    There is a two types of Labradors, English and North American. As mentioned here before, English type is a craftsman and North American is a powerful and dynamic athlete. Research them and chose adequately.
    My past lab was an English/North American cross from good lines she was smart and powerful. Of course her training and life style was a big part of it. I may be biased because she was my dog but in her case the cross was great

Check out some day retrievers in Kamloops if you're in the area, just picked up a pup from Linda after I went and checked out her operation, I met a few of her dogs and saw her property and couldnt have been more impressed. My girl Ghillie is 3 months old, house trained, retrieving and swimming, coming to call even with lots of distractions and other dogs and all she wants is to be with me. Ive worked with labs before but Im no expert, just read up on a few different books and take your time. A lab wont give up on you so keep at the training. Shes also a lover, she is on my lap as I type this and loves attention.

I'd suggest the female variety.
    At least they don't pizz all over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    Thanks for the tip, and I have been reading. The consensus seems to be that the English are bred more for show and the American as a field/ working dog.

I am pretty sure that I won't be doing any field trials but I know very little about them so more research is needed. If in my research think that I may want to explore the possibility of field trials then I will look at the "American".

I love the striking look of the "English" lab but have been told that because they are bred for show that often some of the medical checks done for working dog lines are not a concern. But if I find a breeder that does all the required clearances and I don't think that field trials is something I'll persue then perhaps an English is a better fit. And from what I have read, they still make great bird dogs.

Lots of info out there.........Just need to keep wading through it
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-28-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Not all the English labs are show dogs. That is just the style of dog they show.
    if you want a high energy bottle rocket go Trials.... you want a easy going "English" lab go hunt test....

Check out Prairie Storm Kennels in Sask. they breed good field dogs and are clowns at home. They have quite a good website.