Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying a first compound bow

Advice on buying a first compound bow

Looking for advice on buying a first compound bow.

The idea of bow hunting has always appealed to me so has archery in general. Also, the idea of shooting a few arrows in the evening when I have a few minutes to spare as opposed to $50 in ammo and a drive to go shooting for an hour or so.

question:

1. How much should I expect to spend on complete setup that I wont feel the need to upgrade right away? ( I tend to buy quality gear but not flag ship level stuff)

2. Are "ready to hunt" packages the way to go or is it better to build up from bare bow?

3. What axle to axle length and brace height should I be looking for?

4. Are there any standout bows that are a good value, have enough performance to be interesting and are forgiving enough for a beginner to progress easily ?

Thanks for the help

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice on buying a first compound bow

RTS packages have lower end sights/quivers/rests, but the price difference between them and the bare bow isn't a lot - you can always upgrade the components later

Diamond and PSE both offer some great entry level bows. Lots of good product out there, and lots of advice to come I am sure. Have fun
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I just bought a bow for my kids. It is the same one my buddy uses. It is a Diamond infinite edge pro. If you are looking for something cheap, It is regular $450 with all the goodies. I got it at wholesale for $268. The reason I would recommend this bow is that it adjusts to a range of draw lengths and weights. It will do everything you need, it is accurate, and when you are done with it, you can keep it for a backup, give it to a kid, or have your significant other use it. Bows are pretty much worthless after they leave the store at initial purchase. Resale sucks. Start cheaper, find out if you like it, and then go for what you want. My personal bow is an APA. I love it, but its one of those ford/chevy things. They are all basically the same, you just need to find one that fits you. Good luck

My advice. Spend the money once. $1200 should get you into a very good setup. Watch for sales at wholesale sports. I bought a pro series PSE but an rts package and I already want to upgrade the sight

Check out the classifieds over at archerytalk, that is if you dont mind buying from the states. Turnover is ridiculous down there and most used bows have better components than rts packages would. Dollar does suck right now tho......

Thanks for the advice,
    I'm leaning more to the "buy once cry once" philosophy now. But with everything there is a point of diminishing returns and with Archery I have now idea were that point is?? My guess was around the $1000-$1200 range all full set up. But it could be way less for all I know... I'll have to find a store that I can try a few bows I'm thinking.
    thanks for the replays so far.

So is $1000 your price limit/range? If it is you can sure get some great bows for that much. I myself picked up a bear authority rth package for $300 a few years back off ebay. Great bow fits me great but did have to get a new rest right away, not a fan of whisker biscuits. I should also upgrade the sight but just haven't gotten around to it yet

I would stick to a bow that has axel to axcel over 30" and the longer the brace height the more accurate it will be while learning.

it all depends on your body really

I wouldn't waste your time with RTS packages ... you said yourself that your a quality guy just not flagship yet ...
    if you were to buy new Budget about 1500 bucks for bow, sight, stabilizer, doz arrows, rest, peep, case and slings (all top shelf stuff)

Used you could buy a 1 or 2 year old Flagship bow and accessories fully dressed out for about 1200 or 1300 depending on brand

My advice is to go to a proper archery shop and get properly fitted ... Wholesale, Cabellas, Bass pro etc are not proper archery shops

living in 5-1 .. there are not a lot of local options ... look online you can find a lot of great deals
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

+1 on buying used off archerytalk classifieds. Your going to get a bow for way cheaper than you normally would here in Canada