Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hunting weather...whats your fav

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: hunting weather...whats your fav

frosty cold -2 to -5 mornings in early to mid September! The weather stays clear and cool, +3 at the warmest all day! Thats elk weather, and when the bulls usually like to start serenading all night! I love -6 to -10 mornings the last week of September to mid October, the moose respond to cow calls, and the bulls come in with their repetitive grunts, and head tilting trance, eyes possessed! then bring on the -12 to -20 weather of mid to late November, walking under an old growth canopy of Douglas fir, listening for the snap of a branch, the twitch of an ear, the mulies are hot on the tracks of the attentive does, breathe the fresh air deeply, as it burns as it enters your lungs! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Depends on what I'm hunting and where. My favorite is probably august hare, nice warm evening stroll in shorts and a t-shirt, whack a few bunnies and throw them in a cooler backpack on ice, then have a little campfire and sip a beer.

After a snowstorm. Animals that have been holed up are hungry and up and about.

The day before a storm, usually intensified activity.

I like -5 to +5C with no precipitation. A little snow is OK. I can work hard and not build up a sweat, meat spoilage is unlikely, less bugs around (except for ticks in the Spring, they don't care about temps)

My focus is on blacktail hunting. As much as torrential downpours is good for hunting BT's, I would "rather" be dry, but the reality is that November in the valleys on the coast, 70mm of rain at 1 - 5C (hypothermia weather) is pretty common... most other weather is an exception. Even full on Gore-tex, if there is any possible way for water to get in, it will and you will be soaked. Being soaked and still hunting or sitting and waiting is rough. Sometimes dusk can't come soon enough. I have contemplated hunting in full on scuba gear lol