Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bc parks license plates

bc parks license plates

If there is another thread or if this is the wrong spot please move it.
    how many members have taken to these new photo plates, as soon as I found out that most of the initial and all of the yearly cost goes to Parks I jumped on these, the komodo bear and porteau cove were the two I chose, my bonus, my plates have the same number, the only change is a PA on one and PW on the other the rest is the same.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bc parks license plates

Wrong spot I think. Regardless, you got screwed. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ates-1.4040985
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

i got one of the bear ones for my new car, not really into the whole giving to the province even more then my already occurring donations (willing and un-willing), i simply like the design, and it was different , not many people in my area have got them yet, , but seeing as it donates some money to the parks i enjoy , then its just another little benefit, sure they should get more, but every little bit helps

I can't read the input that is posted, but that is no matter. I don't believe I'm getting screwed with something that I did voluntarily, it cost 50.00 up front of which 18.00 to 33.00 goes to parks then the 40.00 a year again goes to Parks yearly, not a bad price to pay as my hunting license costs me 7.00 a year and my fishing license costs me 1.00 a year I'll take the screwing.

Quote Originally Posted by dasnake View Post
    I can't read the input that is posted, but that is no matter. I don't believe I'm getting screwed with something that I did voluntarily, it cost 50.00 up front of which 18.00 to 33.00 goes to parks then the 40.00 a year again goes to Parks yearly, not a bad price to pay as my hunting license costs me 7.00 a year and my fishing license costs me 1.00 a year I'll take the screwing.
    Only $15goestoparks

The breakdown the ministry gave for the $50 fee is as follows:

• $18: new licence plate fee to provincial government.
    • $15: directly to B.C. Parks.
    • $5: ICBC for cost recovery.
    • $7: plate manufacturing, shipping and handling.
    • $5: broker commission.

The way I understand it:

$15: directly to B.C. Parks. The intent of the program.

$5: ICBC for cost recovery. Not sure what costs by ICBC (storage of the plates maybe) Partially clawed back by the government in any case.

$7: plate manufacturing, shipping and handling. A real cost.

$5: broker commission. Another real cost.

$18: new licence plate fee to provincial government. Christy's cut. More than the program gets. For what?

A Vancouver man is calling out the province for what he says is misleading information about how much of the $50 fee for specialty B.C. Parks licence plates actually goes to enhance parks.
    Blogger and outdoor enthusiast Steven Jones says he was surprised to recently discover that only $15 of that fee is put towards the province's Park Enhancement Fund.
    "There's a bigger question here of transparency and the way that they're running the park system," Jones said.
    The province announced the new licence plates in January, explaining that "all net proceeds from the sale and ongoing renewals of B.C. Parks licence plates will be re-invested back into provincial parks."
    It described the fund as "a transparent account where revenues enhance programs or services in provincial parks."
    Jones says he emailed the province shortly after the announcement to ask exactly how much of the $50 fee would go towards supporting the parks.
    "I asked in a very clear direct manner to the Ministry of Environment and received an unequivocal response that ... $33 would go towards the fund," he said.
    Porteau Cove on the Sea to Sky Highway is featured on this special B.C. Parks licence plate. (ICBC)

CBC News obtained the email sent by the ministry's communications manager.
    "Can you clarify on that $33? How much of that will go directly into the Park Enhancement Fund?" wrote Jones.
    "The entire $33 will go into the park enhancement fund," the communications manager replied.
    Similarly, at the time of the announcement, an ICBC spokesman told CBC, "For every new B.C. Parks plate sold, $33 of the initial purchase price will go to B.C. Parks and the provincial government."
    Messages posted on the Discover B.C. Parks Facebook page used the exact same language.
    A B.C. Parks response to a post on its Facebook account explains that $33 of the initial purchase price of the B.C. Parks licence plates goes toward "B.C. Parks and the provincial government.' (Facebook)

Ministry, ICBC explain discrepancy

But when Jones crunched the most recent numbers from the province about the licence plates, he discovered only $15 of the fee is contributed to the fund — a difference of about $200,000 given how many people have bought the plates so far.
    "I think that some of the 11,000 people that stepped forward and put forward this $50 with the intention of making a donation to the B.C. parks fund are going to be a little bit upset that only $15 made it into the B.C. Parks system," Jones said.
    A spokesman with the ministry said the province's announcements always made it clear that it is only the net proceeds, or profits, from the licence plate sales that are contributed to the fund.
    The Purcell Mountains in B.C.'s Interior is featured on one of the special new licence plates for B.C. Parks. (ICBC)

The spokesman said he couldn't speak to the email Jones received or to the $33 figure posted to the Facebook page.
    The breakdown the ministry gave for the $50 fee is as follows:

• $18: new licence plate fee to provincial government.
    • $15: directly to B.C. Parks.
    • $5: ICBC for cost recovery.
    • $7: plate manufacturing, shipping and handling.
    • $5: broker commission.

An ICBC spokesman similarly explained the discrepancy by breaking down the $33 as $15 towards the park fund and $18 towards the province as its standard plate fee cost.
    But Jones says those responses don't explain the initial answer he was given about how much of the fee goes towards the park.
    "I think that they knew what the net proceeds would be when they launched the program, and if it was only going to be $15 of every $50 that should have been announced up front," he said.
    As an avid outdoorsman who often frequents the province's parks, Jones says he wants to see more done to maintain them.
    "The government spends a lot of money to attract huge amounts of people to our parks from around the world and it fuels a $16-billion tourism industry," he said.
    "The trails are being degraded, the signs are falling over, facilities are falling apart.
    "Even if the $200,000 is not a lot in the scheme of the system, it would certainly make a meaningful impact to a trail, to signs and to facilities in the park system."
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

If you intend on keeping it significantly more than a year does it really matter that much? By my math if you keep for 10 years, 15$+(40x10) = $415 to BC parks vs 33+(40x10) = $433. Sure there could have been more transparent messaging, but I don't think too many people who pony up are going to care about a few bucks.

I like the look of them, but I'm not supporting BC Parks. They've taken away enough freedom and access from BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
    If you intend on keeping it significantly more than a year does it really matter that much? By my math if you keep for 10 years, 15$+(40x10) = $415 to BC parks vs 33+(40x10) = $433. Sure there could have been more transparent messaging, but I don't think too many people who pony up are going to care about a few bucks.
    I'm not sure I follow your math. Wouldn't 10 years x $15=$150 and 10 years x 33=$330? That seems like a bigger difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeerSeer View Post
    I'm not sure I follow your math. Wouldn't 10 years x $15=$150 and 10 years x 33=$330? That seems like a bigger difference to me.
    The prov. Gov statement that 100% of the annual renewal fee of 40$ goes directly to parks is pretty clear, so it's only the % of the 50$ up front cost that people were raising as the issue. Unless the gov made a blatant lie about the 40$ renewal fee, I believe my math would be correct.