Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We may have some work to do.........

We may have some work to do.........

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/202342/Oinkers-on-the-loose

If this is the case, we could have feral hog problems soon. For those of us that like bacon(and who doesn't) we should do everything we can to ensure none survive! Rest of the story on Castanet.net
    Last edited by Seeker; 07-21-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: We may have some work to do.........

I've always wanted to hunt some boars... Link to Castanet article?

I think he was being funny , feral pigs are different , not just domestic hogs out of their pens .

Now if we do see a oinker in the middle of the woods, and were sure that no one is around who would own the animal(s), and they are unmarked or tagged, are they therefore considered 'feral' and we can legally harvest them??

Cool Re: We may have some work to do.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    ... feral pigs are different , not just domestic hogs out of their pens .
    LOL! The description of feral pigs is just that - domestic pigs that have escaped their pen!

And yeah, they are Wide Open here in BC as in many other jurisdictions.
    Just be damned certain they ain't got anything even close to resembling a fence around them!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

^^^^^^ What IronNoggin said. As soon as a domestic pig escapes it's fence/pen it is considered feral and is considered "fair game" if found on crown land or private land that you have permission to hunt and within the prescribed hunting season and M.U.'s. They really do not want a "wild boar" problem in BC. I know of someone who shot a feral pig a few years ago. There had been some escaped pigs a number of years further back, and this particular feral came from that I believe. This feral pig had already developed a razor back.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Interesting read -- http://www.gameandfishmag.com/huntin...of-feral-hogs/

I hunted them down in California -- word had it that these particular ones were introduced by William Randolph Hearst. He imported some Russian Wild Boar to stock his private game preserve at Hearst Castle.

Apparently, everything went along fine and dandy until the boar refused to cooperate and escaped into the surrounding countryside. Over the years the Russian Boar began to breed with escaped barnyard pigs that had formerly belonged to neighboring farmers.

For a couple decades it seemed as though nothing was happening on the pig front, but the hybrid pigs, known as feral pigs to Fish and Game Biologists, were merrily breeding away and expanding their numbers in the wild backcountry of the coastal mountains. Heard some have pushed 800 pounds.

As for my success . . . I just ended up getting stalked/hunted by a Mountain Lion. Never saw it, just felt it, saw a ground bird get flushed behind me and found the fresh
    tracks on my way out [that were not there before].

So when is a beef feral? When off its trad territory? Mmmm burgers and franks
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Domesticated pigs are actually one of the few species that goes feral after its put back in the wild.
    Within months they will grow hair, tusks, and they'll eat anything the can they are omnivores - So ground nesting birds and eggs, hares, etc. They are pretty nasty.

But I still want to hunt some bacon.

Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....