Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering buying a place in Vernon - how's the hunting/fishing?

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

Re: Considering buying a place in Vernon - how's the hunting/fishing?

Surprised no one has mentioned the Lavington (even Lumby) area. Easy access to a ton of mountain lakes, lots of creeks into the Monashee's. Close enough to Vernon and the hwy south.

RC

Jilrot....dont buy anything before ya check blind bay,,,,bit over hour to airport,,skiing little more,,city salmon arm 25 km..
    good hunting near,,fishing right here shuswapa,,,,,,vernon very hot dry summers...boiling........house market good here,,
    i know really good thrustworty realto here...giwwme shaut...f..g

I'm in Armstrong and I love it. You can still buy an acreage for under $500K, it's only 12 minutes to the north end of Vernon and there's some amazing hunting around here. Crime in Armstrong is pretty much no existent, the worst think that happens is the odd grow op in the hills. Awesome place to bring up kids!
    Westshore Estates, Killeny beach, Estemont ( all down Westside Rd ) are all awesome places with killer value! It's a bit of a drive to Vernon ( 30 mins ) but there are still amazing houses for $400K
    Lavington Lumby is great value also and gateway to the Monashees, Aberdeen plateau etc...
    Each area has some killer hunting!
    The real estate market in Vernon has gone nuts in the last 2 weeks, almost everything is going to multiple offers and well over asking price. Some of the outlying areas aren't quite as busy but there is a major lack of inventory in the North Okanagan right now that is driving the market.
    Let me know if you want some help, I would be happy to send you some listings and have a good chat. I'm with RE/MAX in Vernon.
    Brent 250-549-0023

Good luck with your move.Something i cant stress enough is that once u actually move and decompressfrom big city having to drive 2 or 3 hours nust to deer or bird hunt alone is going to start bothering you.
    Doesnt seem bad right now but trust me your outlook will change.
    Good luck.

Now don't everyone go and say it's good because then it will become a Hotspot and be like Kelowna. I'd like it just big enough to fit in my back pocket

Thanks for all the good comments. I agree that driving a couple of hours for outdoor 'activities' is a pain. But, I have to compromise with the wife. She wants to be near a town - and near skiing.

Dirty Steve has hooked me up with some properties to look at. I'm hoping to go see some in a couple of weeks.

Wifey found a place in Lumby she really likes. It's in 'town' and no outbuildings - but it's nice...

I like Lumby nice lakes and hunting in about any direction. And Vernon's only a half hr or so away for better shopping to keep the wife happy. Silverstar not far away there's the odd deer nearby too I've heard Buy the house ..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I am very familiar with the Vernon area as I grew up there. Thirty to forty years ago, it was still a good place for upland bird hunting both pheasants, hungarian partridge and quail. But urbanization took care of that along with stringent no shooting laws as you cannot discharge a firearm within the the city limits, of both Vernon and Coldstream now. Fishing can be fair to good, but all the mountain lakes have increased pressure on them. However, if you are into skiing and golfing there are plenty of areas to do that within the area. Just make sure if you buy a house in the Vernon area, to get one with air conditioning, as it will make the hot summers bearable. My two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Thanks for all the good comments. I agree that driving a couple of hours for outdoor 'activities' is a pain. But, I have to compromise with the wife. She wants to be near a town - and near skiing.

Dirty Steve has hooked me up with some properties to look at. I'm hoping to go see some in a couple of weeks.
    2hrs from Vernon for outdoor activities?

My daughter lives there and you can drive 10min and be miles away from everyone. Good place if you can stand the heat and no shortage of outdoors and outdoorsman.