Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with lead free bullets

Re: Hunting with lead free bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    In a .308 with a TTSX, I would go no more than 150gr TTSX, for general hunting purposes (assuming 0-350 yard shots)
    Why not? Could be several reasons I can think about. Just curious.

Maybe the extra speed, possibly lower recoil?

I like the 168's, I just wish I can find a faster recipe that shoots as well as what I'm using right now. I haven't played with Varget yet...

I have shot 100 grain e-tips out of a 25-06 I had, they were very accurate in that gun. Took a coyote at 360 yards and didn't find the exit hole till I skinned him. It's a safe bet that bullet never opened up but he jumped when he was hit and made it less than five yards. I have taken a pile of moose, elk, deer, a couple of black bears and a couple of sheep with 210 ttsx out of my 338 (my favourite gun) I have almost always had good results. A few required more then one shot, I think a couple of those ttsx just penciled thru as the shots where lung shots with a complete pass thru at very short ranges. They are not long range bullets as i have found they don't open up very well past 300 yards, I have usually managed to get around 200 yards or less for hunting shots. I have recovered three ttsx over the years, all the rest were the usual Barnes pass thru. My first pick of a bullet to try in a new gun is the accubond, if it doesn't group then the ttsx. I only use the ttsx in my 338, the rest of my guns shoot accubonds.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

'Experts' also recommend only eating Halibut 6 servings a month, Albacore 3, we're easily 2-3 times that. I feel great, grew up on cup/core game. Far worse things for you, no doubt.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

168 gr Ttsx apparently can be more difficult to get good groups on for some rifles than 165s for the 308 cals. Don't know why this is, but I suspect it is the longer length of the 168s which might not work as well in slower twist barrels. Watch out for this in all lead free bullets. They tend to be longer for the bullet weight, especially for "high" bc bullets like the nosler etips or lrx's

I started loading Barnes copper bullets the first time this problem gained publicity with studies on lead contamination of game out of the Midwest states nearly 10 years ago. I don't know why there isn't a stronger push to replace lead ammo with lead-free designs for most hunting applications, especially considering this new evidence. As long as there's sufficient velocity, the performance on game is as good or superior to lead bullets. As a general rule, think inside 300 yds for most standard calibers and can be pushed quite a bit further with magnums and/or careful attention to bullet weight or higher bc varieties. Know the limits of the bullet, spend some time with a ballistics calculator and you can be sure they'll work every time. None of the animals I've shot have known the difference.

It's true you are not going to suffer acute lead toxicity from eating meat from game shot with lead ammo, I don't think there is any concern about getting sick in any way that you'd actually feel sick or realize it. The problem is more recognized for feeding children or pregnant women any quantity of lead. There is a huge amount of scientific literature on the effects even a small amount of lead could have on development. It's why it was banned from paint, gas and a bunch of other products over the years. I have a young family. Why would I risk exposing them to lead when there is a clear alternative that works just as well or better? Lots of people aren't aware so I'm glad the word is getting out more.

I started with nosler ballistic tips and Hornady ssts. They both gave quick kills, but explode, especially at medium short ranges, and do a lot of meat damage. And spread the lead throughout. I switched to Barnes tsx in 150 and just as or more effective because it punches thru bone. Took 2 deer at 85 yards last fall, and as they say eat right up to the hole.
    I shoot 7mm RM Tikka t3, and they sighted in easily on load work up. Just make sure you clean your barrels well with Wipeout or similar to remove all fouling, especially copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post

I like the 168's, I just wish I can find a faster recipe that shoots as well as what I'm using right now. I haven't played with Varget yet...
    Weight retention is a big reason. These bullets tend to lose only 5% of their original weight.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I have been using non lead for 15 years prob, Went from Barnes X to TSX then TTSX, but now I shoot the Hornady GMX bullet. I have never had a issue with copper fouling and seems odd that it would be since every bullet other than lead molded rounds are in copper. Are others finding that the Barnes or Hornady are softer yet hold together better than lead?
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post

Monometals need a minimum 2000fps to expand properly, so more kinetic energy retained by greater mass is undone by sacrificing muzzle velocity. Effective range is limited to the point whereat the bullet slows below 2000fps, rather than 1200 ft-lb.

Hornady LeveRevolution 45-70 has overcome this, but the other side of that equation is that those bullets could not be fired from a 460 Weatherby and still hold together. Monoliths have a narrower range of efficacy than lead jacketed bullets.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I would not use a lead free bullet in a 308. Sorry the velocity just simply doesn't work out. I have a lot of experience using lead free, and was using them in my 30-06 but then stopped after a poor result. Even the 30-06 is on the fence in regards to lead free bullets like the GMX out past 100 yards. Never had an issue when shooting a deer, but did encounter a problem with a moose, which is why I started to research more about the lead free. Velocities are questionable and I don't believe one needs the penetration power required when hunting a deer. Understand your bullet and how it works, make your own decision, but ensure you are shooting at ranges within the acceptable velocity preformance curves
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I use 150g TTSX in my .308, and I won't ever be going back. The velocity is plenty for my comfortable shooting range (under 400 yds), and the wound channels have been devastating on both whitetail and elk for me.