Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting with lead free bullets

Hunting with lead free bullets

I have decided to switch from lead bullets to non-lead and think I am going to try Barnes TTSX bullets as everybody seems to love them. I now shoot 308 Win - 168 gr Lead but think I should go to a lighter 150 gr TTSX as they seem to like higher velocity to expand out at further distances. Up to now I only hunt deer but think this would work on elk and moose. What are people’s experiences when changing to lead free?

I also came across this website which promotes lead free bullets and give every reason in the world to switch including lead fragmentation in animals including x-ray shots which got me paranoid about lead consumption! It also gives interesting info about shot placement vs lead bullets. Check it out: http://www.huntingwithnonlead.org

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting with lead free bullets

My main reason for using copper is I don't have to worry about bullet disintegration at close range with my .243 - and I'm a big fan of close range shots.

The other reasons they provide on that website are sound.

Downsides:
    - price
    - I don't think you're going to get that mass shock, drop on the spot effect, unless you're shooting for it (spine, double shoulders, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong.
    - May not behave in your gun
    - There is potential for running out of steam and the bullets not expanding in something like a .30-30

I made the switch two years ago and love the TTSX. The five deer I've shot with them were all one shot kills,,,,all dropped on the spot except for one that was running away when I shot it which fell about 5 yards away. No meat damage,,,,when they say you can eat the meat right up to the hole they aren't kidding, at least for mine.

The loads I developed are very accurate for the two rifles I like to hunt with. I dropped down from the 165 gr. Accubonds for my 308, right down to 130 gr. TTSX and feel confident it would drop any moose or elk with the right bullet placement. Getting 3000 +/- fps out of my 22" barrel using Varget. Using 150 gr. bullets would be fine, too. You just won't get as much velocity but you'd still be able to shoot any animal under 300 yards with them.

I use the 120 gr. TTSX in my 7-08 over Varget ,,,,2920 fps.

I do a lot of practice shooting, too, but I use much cheaper lead bullets that have close to the same POI. I just make sure once the season is about to start that my TTSX rounds are totally dialled in ,,,,(1 3/4" high at 100 yds.)

I like the idea of not eating lead contaminated meat,,,,even though I have been in the past but that doesn't mean it hasn't caused some harm that hasn't manifested yet.

I only shoot barnes TTSX, and I have more than a handful of different calibers. Never been disappointed. Only 1 animal moved after impact, and that was a moose that went 5 yards. I have been very happy with the groups that I get, as opposed to other "high end" bullets. I am sure you will be very happy if you decide to go with Barnes.

I find Barnes to be a little cheaper than say Accubonds and Partitions. I've only shot 1 deer with them so far, 168gr TTSX from my .30-06, and I would definitely recommend using lighter bullets if you go the TTSX way. Deer dropped on the spot but it was definitely overkill, especially because it was a 20 yard shot.

I tried Hornady Superformance GMX in 2011 and haven't looked back. Supreme hunting ballistics in my 30-06.

The downside is expense, and bullet dimension variety. I can see it unsuitable for match shooters, or anyone who isn't hunting. Varminters/trappers who don't eat their kills wouldn't gain anything from leadless bullets and may have more pelt damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I too use non lead bullets. I shot two small whitetail deer last fall with my 7mm-08 / 140gr barnes TTSX's. Was goat hunting with earlier in the hunt with this set up. Both were heart lung shots to minimize meat loss. Neither dropped on the spot but neither made it further than 20 yards. I'm going to use this setup for spring bear.

I shoot Barnes bullets in my inline muzzleloader, and 7mm-08, and accubonds "in my 06" because I wanted a quality bullet that will still perform well if I ever hit solid bone. And if I'm goat hunting, or hopefully soon sheep hunting, I am going to intentionally be shooing high shoulder unless the animal is in a spot where there is no fear of it getting somewhere nasty. I want these bullets to smash the shoulder hard and penetrate into the upper chest. Yes, there will be meat loss. With these animals, my concern is knocking them down as quick as possible.

As far as worrying about lead contamination in game shot with lead bullets, you probably have more to worry about from the mercury in your old fillings
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-19-2017 at 06:45 PM.

168ttsx is a great bulllet. Stick with the same weight and hunt moose, elk deer and anything else you want. They hold together and Cary there weight. I've used them since 2008 and killed moose, elk, bears, deer, goats. All one shot.
    BCWF
    VIPDC

In a .308 with a TTSX, I would go no more than 150gr TTSX, for general hunting purposes (assuming 0-350 yard shots)
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post
    168ttsx is a great bulllet. Stick with the same weight and hunt moose, elk deer and anything else you want. They hold together and Cary there weight. I've used them since 2008 and killed moose, elk, bears, deer, goats. All one shot.
    Considering that Barnes TTSX bullets retain almost 100% of their original weight, that would be like shooting a 200 gr. lead bullet based on how much it would end of weighing after the shot made contact. Don't know any hunters who shoot that heavy a bullet out of their .308s. Gotta remember,,,, all 165 gr. bullets are not considered equal. Big difference between monos and cup and core /bonded bullets.

I use the 165 gr. TTSX out of my 300 WSM because I can speeds up over 3000 fps. Barnes love speed!