Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garbage...

Re: Garbage...

I guess it could be a good thing as these areas will get closed to vehicles. I don't mind hiking in. I've done tents, lean-to's, snow caves...planning a camp this fall with a buddy. No vehicle access where we are going and everything will be packed back out!

We came across a trailer last year that looked like the start of a new hobo camp. It was there late season so we went and checked on it this year. I don't know what happened to it, but it looks like it was crushed. Its not shot up or smashed, but just kind of flattened. Maybe by snow? Now it will be expensive to get out of there... probably another spur to get gated and one less place for us to set up camp. I suspect the future of camping will be provincial park reservations or leaving the vehicle on a main road and hiking in.

I joined the OFTF (Okanagan Forest Task Force) last year but missed the clean ups that they had planned last year. This year I got in on the clean up that they did that was actually started by the regional district (RDCO) close to my home (West Kelowna) where I do hike a lot. It was a great turnout with over 60 people in attendance. We had 2 huge bins full. One was full 2,480 lbs of metal and the other one was over 8,000 lbs of garbage. This was a bad area but not even close to some of the other areas that they have cleaned up like Postill Road area and Gillard FSR. It is disgusting the amount of trash out there. I went back to the area we cleaned up 2 weeks later and there was already a couple of bags of garbage there again. My wife and I picked it up and found some information identifying one of the people that were there. I reported it to RAPP and the CO got back to me and said he would follow up on it. But he also said that without video evidence or pictures or proof such as a license plate to prove that the people were there and not just someone dumping someone else's trash that it would be hard to convict anyone.
    The next official OFTF cleanup is scheduled for June 3 up Postill road again if anyone else in the Kelowna area would like to help out. Check out OFTF on Facebook or the http://okanaganforesttaskforce.com/ link like Fisher-Dude posted.

A couple years back discovered a camp left with a great amount of garbage. CO came through are camp and I mentioned it. He said lets go for a ride. He went through the garbage and founds some clues, this was in region 5. He made a couple of calls contacted the HUNTERS, from the mainland and said if your not up here in two days to clean it up there will be steep fines. Next time I went by spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterguy View Post
    A couple years back discovered a camp left with a great amount of garbage. CO came through are camp and I mentioned it. He said lets go for a ride. He went through the garbage and founds some clues, this was in region 5. He made a couple of calls contacted the HUNTERS, from the mainland and said if your not up here in two days to clean it up there will be steep fines. Next time I went by spotless.
    That is good to hear about. It's good you took the time to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    If you can catch them in the act, and get their plate number, definitely phone RAPP....
    and use the BCWF Conservation app, a great reporting toolbcwf.net/index.php/bcwf-app
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole