Thread: Weird scat

Weird scat

So up above Mackenzie where I was just hunting I saw a ton of this scat, I looked up on Google and people seem to say it is grouse but I have a hard time believing that as the piles are much bigger then what a grouse should be pooping out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grouse_scat_Web-452x288.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	6357

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Weird scat

I havent seen it clumped together like that.. but it looks like the goose poop you find on soccer fields in the LML
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

It's grouse. Where they bed down for the night in the snow(they burrow under the snow to stay warm), they leave piles that look about half the size of the bird itself. I guess in the morning they are much less full of it

Darcy

Wow I never thought such a tiny bird could poop out that much. I mean that's a big pile of crap. I'm really happy human poop ratio isn't that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post
    Wow I never thought such a tiny bird could poop out that much. I mean that's a big pile of crap. I'm really happy human poop ratio isn't that big.
    Haha! Only with politicians is the ratio close to that......and it spews forth from a different location than normal!

Darcy

correct on the chicken sh*t, Saw a couple this winter completely buried, driving down the road one popped its head up and looked around, creeped up in the truck and boom a couple popped out of the snow, took a look and big piles at the bottom of each hole. Never knew what they were when I saw them in the summer, now I do. They were buried under a good bit of snow but had a little cavern down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post
    I saw a bunch of these piles last weekend when I went to collect my game cams from sitting out for the winter. I thought maybe a ground squirrel, but grouse makes better sense as there are lots around and I saw a big one sitting on a log not far from my camera.

Talking about poop to body ratios, when I was a boy I saw my half grown kitten make a pile half the size of his own body! He made a heck of a sound pushing it out and it looked near human size in diameter.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Thats classic Turkey scat, white tips and way to much to be a grouse. Ive seen it in the kootenays too
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

No turkeys around Mackenzie. Find this from time to time and never would have thought grouse. Learn something new everyday.

Definitely grouse. ��������