Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Germansen landing and MU 7-38 help

Re: Germansen landing and MU 7-38 help

I have no idea on how to salt the hide. I was under the impression just keeping it cold till I get back down would be enough....Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post
    I have no idea on how to salt the hide. I was under the impression just keeping it cold till I get back down would be enough....Help?
    Yes, keep it cold and get it home and you'll be fine.

A guy named Ron Repko rents his cabin on his property and he is just 12k past Germansen, great guy. He and his wife Ruth have been there since the 70's, do yourself a favor and have a few beers with the man, stories for day's and funny as hell. We stayed with them for a moose hunt a few years ago, had a great time.

You are goin in early but great on you for getting out! When the guys say the roads are bad, that just means you cant take your wifes car. A bad FSR is still 2 wheel drive in a truck, assuming you have a ford! I would bring a tent camp to be safe and see about a cabin when you are there. I think a tent camp makes it more of an "adventure". I have never been in that area but it sounds fun.

I usually am to Mackenzie from Manson Creek in less than 2 hours around 100 the whole way but on my way out there was a logging truck that looked like he put a hole in his rad, likely from beating down the road, a fresh driveshaft in the ditch, and another guy who had ripped a brake line off, it was rough lol.

We booked one of the cabins at Manson Creek. I think for the first time going up there and not too sure what to expect it's the better plan. I'm impressed that lots of guy on this forum have been up there. Google maps says it's 4 hrs north of. Mackenzie so it seemed middle of nowhere to me. I am much more reassured after hearing from you guys. Thanks a bunch. I'm getting pretty excited.

I just tie a pork chop around my hunting partners neck and the bears never bother me.

Good luck Joshua13 - be sure to post how it went when you get back!
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com

Here is a thread on another forum with updates for those interested
    http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?t=39046

Well I think we are too early. Because I have not seen any sign and we have covered alot of ground. Today we went around to a different area in the MU that was more Central and that looked like much better country, we also had more access to the bush, but still no sign. Tons of moose poop and tracks. On the way back to camp we did see a mama black bear with three cubs and 6 moose in total but not what I'm looking for. Snow is only in the high ground and a bit in the shade but still very little green on the hills. My guess is right after we leave. It will be perfect. I have the next week off if I want it but the guy I'm with has to work....