Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Germansen landing and MU 7-38 help

Germansen landing and MU 7-38 help

hey i am heading up this weekend for grizz and my RV decided it didn't want to go, so now I'm in a slight panic about where i can stay and things like that. I've never been up there so any help is appreciated. here's what i am wondering:

is there a cabin or something to rent closer then either St James/Mackenzie?
    could it be possible to rent a small trailer from anywhere close?
    I don't have a diesel so where would be the closest place to get gas? can i get it from Germansen Landing?
    also what is a realistic drive time from St James to Germansen Landing?

thanks for any help you can give.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Germansen landing and MU 7-38 help

Take a good tent, I wouldn't pull a camping trailer up those roads personally. You don't want to be commuting either. May find some cabin rentals around Germanson or Manson but would take some calling around to find contacts.

I've purchased fuel in Germanson and Manson so give them a call to confirm their hours and days etc.

Good luck man, a super fun hunt to do but does require some planning for sure to be outfitted properly and prepared.

Not sure how it's been up there this year but you may find you are early still at this weekend. If you are planning a few trips though it's a good excuse to get out and poke around a bit and learn some of the country.

If you aren't planning multiple trips then I'd consider pushing back into May for sure.

do you have a number to call them? because that's what i cannot find.

hmm i was looking at weather and it said its pretty warm. the plan was this next two weeks so last of apirl and first of may. hopefully it pans out.

a tent ? while hunting grizz? hmmm not sure how i feel about that.

You should be able to get gas at Manson creek, not sure about gas availability at the Germansen store. There may be cabins available in Manson and or Germansen landing but I don't know how you would find out contact information.
    The north road from Ft St James was really rough last I heard, but the Finley out of Mackenzie is probably not much better. Expect 2.5 - 3 hours drive out of the Fort or Mackenzie to Germansen landing. There is still snow in many areas and most side roads could be a challenge to drive. There was about 2 feet a week ago in the valley bottom along the main roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post

hmm i was looking at weather and it said its pretty warm. the plan was this next two weeks so last of apirl and first of may. hopefully it pans out.

hahaha just tell the mean grizzlies that you are hunting b bears!! Seriously though you don't tent camp in grizz country?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post

Not sure what to tell you about your fear of tenting I guess, just have to make those decisions and then ya I'd see how you are panicking and trying to plan last minute. Id imagine if you've never tented in grizz country before then this hunt is going to be a big eye opener in other terms as well due to its remote wilderness. Will be a great adventure I'd bet!

Make sure if you decide to rent a trailer you get good insurance on it. It's a rough area to haul a trailer. Bring two spare tires for sure.

I'd Google Manson Creek store and then they should also have the number for Germanson landing.

I'd personally say you are early, and early by quite a bit. Really depends if you want to hunt certain areas or not though. I know one year it was May 15th and we were still busting through snow on roads.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 04-18-2017 at 09:28 PM.

guest Guest

Take a few spare tires, tough long road. Extra fuel, oil. Tent is a good suggestion as trailers get banged about.

Id actually contact local RCMP and the FN Band in the area. Been a long time but had some bad experiences up there in 7-38. 7-39. Many years ago with FN ........ Haven't gone back. Just saying, they are not always friendly I might say. Cops even say, well it's your word against theirs .......

good luck to you though, I know many others that have hunted there with no issues.

well i guess tenting wouldn't be completely off the table i mean it sucks cause its cold and then i need some sort of table and stuff as well(box of truck i guess) i just haven't tent camped in a long time I'm used to being cozy hehehe. id much rather be in even a tiny cabin.

I am am hoping that there is some snow on the ground but not too much. thought it would be easier to track before all the snow left. (for the record not only is this my first time up that far north it is also my first time hunting grizz.)

curly top we actually had to phone and register with the FN, said so in the regs... my buddy phoned said they seemed just fine.