Thread: Squirrels,rabbits and other schedule "C" animals in lower mainland

Red face Squirrels,rabbits and other schedule "C" animals in lower mainland

Hi everyone,
    My name is julian,i am new in vancouver and here since august,i already made my PAL license,now i want to go out and practice a bit.I'm looking for places where i can shoot some schedule C animals,my girlfriend and me want to try tanning hides and for me its good practice for bigger animals.I make my hunting license soon but i have to wait till august before i can apply for my residential hunters card -.- . Some help where i could go to shoot my gun legally and find some squirrels would be awsome.I allready found some places but the regulations are pretty confusing for me where i am allowed to go and where not.For some good infos i'm willing to share my skills,i am master butcher from germany and pretty fast and clean with deboning every kind of animal,i also know how to make sausages and trim meat perfectly......so...you help me,i help you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Squirrels,rabbits and other schedule "C" animals in lower mainland

Red squirrel are off limits they are not schedule C and these are the little guys you find in the bush

eastren grey squirrel is schedule C the big black and grey ones you see around towns/city can't think of anywhere on crown land that holds a huntable population

Be positive what kind of squirrel you found reds can only be taken under a trappers license

Damn,thought the grey and black ones are in the woods too,i knew that i'm not allowed to shoot the red ones but i was hoping that i can find some of the fat ones outside the city boundaries seems to be not easy to hunt some "C" animals in the woods i guess

The grey colored ones you typically see in the bush are called Douglas Squirrels and are off limits as well.

"Grey" squirrels are the large ones you typically see in the city. They are either Grey or Black and pretty nasty beasts. They are an invasive species (they destroy bird nests and displace the native Douglas squirrels) However, I have never seen them anywhere on huntable land.

I think the reason we do not see these in the bush is that they do not have the speed, evasive instincts or stealthyness​ of native squirrels. Bobcats, predatory birds, owls, etc would annilate them in short order. This is a good thing though. If they ever learn to adapt it will be a big problem for a lot of native species.

I don't see very many schedule C animals in the bush. I think your time would be best spent scouting for the game species you would like to hunt while waiting to get your license.

You can practice target shooting on crown land. Just make sure you have reviewed the shooting restrictions in the hunting regulations as well as the general Fraser Valley restrictions (there are some new ones)

Ranges are best though, especially for sighting in a rifle. Sighting in without a very steady rest and shooting position does not give a great indication of how the scope should be adjusted... at least if you are a crappy shot like me (I am all over the map... my groupings are generally about 4 inches (in diameter!!) at 100 yards in sitting position shooting off stumps.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-17-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Thank you for all that infos,not what i wanted to read but it is what it is would it be allowed to trap the invasive black ones in my backyard? Got tons of them here

Hey Julian,
    I am a member of the Mission rod and gun club, and can take 2 people as guests (club charges $20each) if you are interested and have your PAL. I only go on weekdays, but usually stay the whole day.
    Let me know.

Hey Mikey,thanks for that offer.I'm still waiting for my License card....takes a looong time for the RCMP to cbeck my background cause i'm not a permanent resident -.- but the process should be done soon,i'm waiting every day After that i'm sure we can go there together,i'm happy to meet new people and learn from expirienced hunters,i also would be happy to just go out for a hunt with somebody (dosn't matter if i got my license or not) to see what i have to look for,how to "call" bears,coyotes and other predators.I'm very interested in hunting but i have no one over here who could teach me,but i'm looking forward and i'm sure to find some help