Thread: Recommendations on a hunting shell/rain jacket

Recommendations on a hunting shell/rain jacket

Looking for some recommendations on a hunting shell/rain jacket. Given that much of the fall is reasonably wet near the coast I anticipate wearing this a lot.

I currentky use a cheap (and and not breathable) rain jacket from MEC that I bought 12 years ago but it's seen better days, and usually only pull it out of the rain is heavy as my Badlands fleece is pretty water resistant.

thiking I'll need to go Gortex to get something that's a little breathable and I want something that I can wear than just for rainy weather if possible too.

thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recommendations on a hunting shell/rain jacket

Almost everything is waterproof-breathable these days. Maybe not GoreTex quality but better than a plastic or rubber jacket.

Noise is an issue too -- a lot of fabrics are noisy going through the bush. That's where hunting specific jackets are better. They have a brushed surface which makes them a little quieter (and less waterproof). Sadly all these hunting fabrics are only available in a RealTree pattern unless you go with a more expensive Sitka jacket.

I ended up with a Remington brand jacket from Walmart which looks like the more expensive ones at Wholesale Sports but is slightly different.

I have a Taiga breathable rain jacket. So far so good. Have worn it in some pretty nasty rain and I stayed perfectly dry.

Also depends on the kind of hunting. Most breathable rain gear will soak through. Ex. if you are sitting on a quad your but might get wet etc.

Hiking trips I take my Taiga gear. Truck hunts or off the quad I'll take my HH rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Looking for some recommendations on a hunting shell/rain jacket. Given that much of the fall is reasonably wet near the coast I anticipate wearing this a lot.

I currentky use a cheap (and and not breathable) rain jacket from MEC that I bought 12 years ago but it's seen better days, and usually only pull it out of the rain is heavy as my Badlands fleece is pretty water resistant.

thiking I'll need to go Gortex to get something that's a little breathable and I want something that I can wear than just for rainy weather if possible too.

thanks in advance!
    not knowing what kind of budget you have, and exactly what type of hunting you do, the Cabelas Rain Suede is not too bad for performance and noise if you are not hiking a whole lot. I've used a couple different Sitka products that are ok at best. That said, my next set of performance rain gear must have pit zips or I won't even look at them. I don't care what kind of "breathability" the manufacturer or spec sheets claim, I have yet to use raingear that can expel the amount of moisture I generate when I'm on the move with a pack on my back.

I was actually looking at the Outdoor Research Foray jacket. I talked to two folk that used it hiking the west coat trail, and it has some pretty decent reviews from the hiking community. It has side zips that open from the waist to the pit. And it comes in a couple pretty decent natural colours.

the Firstlite SEAK

love mine
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

I've heard excellent things about the aforementioned SEAK (stands for South East Alaska...where it rains a ton...that's what inspired First Lite supposedly). I have a Kuiu Yukon and love it (fits a bit small). Best rain jacket I've ever had by a long shot. Solid brown colour is nice too because when I spend $400 on a coat (or whatever it was), I want to be able to wear it wherever. Breathable but keeps me dry and the pit zips are indeed awesome when I'm exerting myself. I'd recommend it.