Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piebald Mule Deer in Region 3?

Piebald Mule Deer in Region 3?

I was out scouting a few spots today in preparation of the spring bear hunt and along the way I saw a large number of mule deer. Mostly does, but a few antler buds were visible.

I was pointing them out to my sons and rambling on about deer when I noticed a flash of color as one doe brought her head up. She wasn't large, probably a yearling and she had regular coloring except for a bright pink nose. It looked very strange to see, it was color of a white house cat's nose. As far as I can determine in was a piebald deer that happened to have only the one spot.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone seen anything like this? It is my second year so I am still seeing new things all the time. Saw my first wart slathered buck last year.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Piebald Mule Deer in Region 3?

oh that was rudolf the raindeer..santas deer,,,dont shoot it..

Hah, I expected at least a few rudolph replies!

Seen a piebald buck one year... I had to do a double take!

would make for a nice rug

Don't shoot the piebalds. Their mothers don't love them as much and you can tell in the quality of the meat.

I've seen a decent sized piebald doe in Abbotsford just walking through the neighbourhood

I saw one of those mule deer here at Black Pines for the first time ever, looked like it had some thing yellowy on his snout, was real weird for me to see that.
    Jelly -- yellow light nose -- different for sure .. what iz dat ? -- some kinda misfit --

Quote Originally Posted by dirtymax View Post
    I've seen a decent sized piebald doe in Abbotsford just walking through the neighbourhood
    Had a piebald doe that lived on my property when I was living in Abby she had a yearling I only seen once that was piebald as well. Doe had a large white patch on either side of her chest. Yearling looked like it had white paint splattered on its back near its butt

Only piebald I have ever seen but heard from others in the area who had seen them. From talking to others the piebald genetics have been in the area for many years

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Had a piebald doe that lived on my property when I was living in Abby she had a yearling I only seen once that was piebald as well. Doe had a large white patch on either side of her chest. Yearling looked like it had white paint splattered on its back near its butt

Only piebald I have ever seen but heard from others in the area who had seen them. From talking to others the piebald genetics have been in the area for many years
    Saw two together in Brookswood, Langley. A doe and her fawn. Unreal, so cool.