Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose skull cleaning?

Moose skull cleaning?

Hey
    I have done a few skull mounts on deer, but my moose skull from those fall has posed some interesting issues. I peeled and boiled the skull, but I couldn't get the whole thing in the pot. From the antlers down it is clean , but the upper portion is just... steamed? The tissue cooked from the steam but didn't fall off. So I left it and went to work . Now its all* like hard and glued on. I was thinking I could hit it with a wire wheel on a drill. Is this a terrible idea? Does anyone have a better idea?
    Last edited by Rotorwash; 04-14-2017 at 11:19 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose skull cleaning?

Wire wheel is a bad idea, it will gouge the skull.
    I made a moose percolator from an expired propane bottle and some washing machine hose.
    My skull sat with the antlers holding part of the skull out of the water, so the percolator worked awesome. I used dish soap and baking soda in the water. I found that the skull came out very nice, after pressure washing and didn't even need to bleach it.
    It's important to power wash it right after it comes out of the pot to get it clean.

I've seen a good moose skull boiler made out of a tin trash can with slots cut for the antler bases. I haven't found a good solution to cover the base of the antlers so they can go in the water without being bleached out. I use powdered laundry soap, pressure wash then new water and soap again. I was going to try siliconing the antlers then boiling and taking the silicone off after.

Good thread i have a set i need to clean they are currently hanging in the shed getting rather stinky.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

$20 tin garbage can from CT cut slots onto it to hold antlers and put the lid on. I have pics but can't post, if someone wants to post them for me, I can email them to you.... Shoot me a pm with your email address.
    Last edited by Spy; 04-14-2017 at 10:54 AM.

I did the garbage can with slots trick but it didnt get above the antler line clean. worked pretty slick for the lower 75% of the skull. This percolator that Allan is talking about sounds pretty interesting. I think I will try to build something like that to get boiling water on top of the skull and make moose head soup again. I wrapped the bases of the antlers in tin foil and it seemed to prevent bleaching the color. I also couldnt submerge the bases in the water, it was just steam that I was keeping off.

If you want an idea how I set it up pm me an email or cell #, I just checked and still have photos on my phone but I'm too busy to download to computer and upload to Hbc for you.

Get an old keg and cut the top off.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyHorseshoe View Post
    I've seen a good moose skull boiler made out of a tin trash can with slots cut for the antler bases. I haven't found a good solution to cover the base of the antlers so they can go in the water without being bleached out. I use powdered laundry soap, pressure wash then new water and soap again. I was going to try siliconing the antlers then boiling and taking the silicone off after.
    Yes I cut a tin garbage can last season used it for my moose euro, worked great, also lay a towel over the top of the skull to soak up the simmering water, peroxide the top to help lift anything off the skull, worked great, also pressure washer helps a lot!

I wonder which towel my wife will miss least?