Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game laying down

Game laying down

Probably more specific to archery, but I suppose applicable question for gun hunting as well....so....you're stalking a deer, or a bear, or whatever you happen to be hunting, and the critter has no idea you're there, and lays down. Now, I get that every situation is different, but what are the opinions on shooting game laying down? Shoot at them laying (probably not for me...seems the target would be difficult), call them with a bleat, or distress to get them up, (maybe not for me since they may simply spook), or wait them out (probably, they'll eventually get up).

Bears are often caught sitting. I might under good circumstances shoot a sitting bear. A laying deer...maybe a good neck shot if it's available....I've had good success with neck shots. And after all that, I've also had good success with head shots, but they aren't always practical, and this is where archery is definately different of course.

Thoughts?
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Game laying down

Bow I wait for them to stand had bad luck making noise to make them stand

firearm it dies where it lies chest shots are still possible

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

It all boils down to if the vitals are exposed. I've rifle shot bedded deer, using a neck shot, but only
    within close range. I haven't tried shooting a bedded deer with my bow, but only because I didn't
    have a clear unobstructed path to it's vitals. Usually a front leg covers a good portion of a heart-lung
    shot opportunity, but even if I am able to be at the right angle for a high percentage shot, often there's
    brush or grass in the way.

Agree Big Lew....often laying with debris in the flight path eliminates archery shots. Also agree (for the most part) Wild One....gun..if I can see it, I can kill it (for the most part)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

guest Guest

deleted, opps, archery question

Shot my bighorn laying down at 100yds back towards me and looking other direction. Shot where kneck meets shoulder.....spined. Horns flopped back, never twitched. Planned that stalk for 3hrs and never second guessed the plan when got there. Worked nicely.That said depends on situation and how confident you are in your shot placement. 300WM tho.....not arrow.
    Last edited by northof49; 04-14-2017 at 03:22 AM.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That's a great story northof49. 3 hours...that 3 hours well spent!

If I had a clear shot at the vitals or was close enough to feel confident in a neck shot I would definitely take the shot with any of my hunting rifles. I'm not a bow hunter so I can't really comment.

Used to hunt with a bow....but not for some time tho. If under 30yds, undetected and shooting into vitals on angle from slightly behind, I would have taken that shot. Animal is relaxed in that situation and wouldn't be able to jump the string. Depends how much you have practiced and if you are relaxed and confident in your shot placement into vital area. Accurate distance to 2-3yds a must tho and rock steady. Wouldn't do nowadays as I simply haven't been shooting my bow enough.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Undetected and into vitals are critical elements. And so true that there would be no "string squat". It's always a bit of a guess how low they'll go when you let that release go.