Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: George Heyman NDP Candidate "Knocking at my Door"

Re: George Heyman NDP Candidate "Knocking at my Door"

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    The one thing...if I remember correctly.. was back in the day (early 90's), it was the NDP who put forth more money for CO's.
    Stay away from revisionist history.

The truth will set you free (from doing something dumb, like voting NDP).

British Columbia's Environment Budget Continues Decline
    05/15/00
    RELAYED TEXT STARTS HERE:

Title: British Columbia's Environment Budget Continues Decline
    Source: © 1999 Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment, Montreal
    Date: May 15, 2000

MONTREAL, May 15, 2000 - Since 1995/96, the Government of British Columbia (B.C.) has cut its environment budget 28.5 percent - from $263,700,000 to $188,506,000 in the new fiscal year 2000/2001. The Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks was one of the least funded ministries, listed 12th out of 19 ministries in budget size. The environment ministry budget represented only 0.8 percent of the total 1999/2000 British Columbia budget of $21.1 billion and is being cut at a time when the entire BC budget has been increased.

Cuts to the environment budget in B.C. are much larger than the average cuts to any of the other ministries. While it is important that fat be trimmed from government spending, it is indicative that the environment budget was cut much more than the overall government cutbacks, which average much less than 10 percent since 1995.

More than 400 full time positions have been removed from the Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks. As a result, the Ministry has lost the ability to fully inspect, monitor, and enforce its own laws. Also, the B.C. government has lost the ability to enforce federal laws such as the federal Fisheries Act, CEPA and the new Species at Risk Act (SARA) that will be passed this year. Also, B.C. is no longer in a position to monitor and enforce the Canada Wide Standards that will be set out under Canadian Council of the Ministers of the Environment (CCME) under the Harmonization Agreement that gives some of the federal powers to the provinces. As a result, B.C. will have unfunded mandates and will basically not be able to meet its legal obligations under its laws. Also, it will not be able to help Canada comply with national commitments to international environmental agreements, because of lack of funding.

To contact the B.C. Government about the budget cuts email communications@gems7.gov.bc.ca. See the B.C. Government budget at the website http://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/. See the B.C. Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks at http://www.gov.bc.ca/elp/.
    B.C. Ministry of Environment, Lands & Parks Budget From 1995 to 2000
    The following are the annual budget allocations by the Government of British Columbia to the Ministry of Environment, Lands & Parks (MELP). The numbers are in the millions of dollars (000,000):

95/96 - $263
    96/97 - $222
    97/98 - $204
    98/99 - $188
    99/00 - $194
    00/01 - $188

During this same period MELP staff were reduced by 400 from 2,453 in 1995 to 2053 in 2000. Normally, it is expected that the New Democratic Party (NDP) is socially sensitive and environmentally friendly. Certainly, that is how the NDP has cast itself in opposition. However, now as government, like in Ontario (during the Bob Rae NDP Government), the NDP have displayed much more conservative attitudes regarding the need to protect the environmental health of people.
    Source B.C. Government Services Employees' Union (BCGEU), 2994 Douglas Street, Victoria, B.C. , V8T 4N4, ph. (250) 388-9948, fax (250) 384-8060, 1 800 667- 1033, E-mail: mail@bcgeu.bc.ca , Website: http://www.bcgeu.bc.ca/contact.html.

B.C. Environment Survey Reveals Government of British Columbia Not Doing Its Job
    A survey conducted of the professionals working for MELP reveals that the ability of the Ministry to protect the environment has been severely compromised by the budget cuts. The survey, conducted by the British Columbia Government Employees' Union (BCGEU) found, "very low morale, and a great loss of confidence in the ministry's ability to protect the environment". It found that, "ministry employees have lost confidence in the ministry's ability to do the job. With further cuts to staff and resources planned for the current fiscal year, the ministry will become even less able to manage and protect our environment". The survey found that, "the men and women who protect B.C.'s environment say that they are less able to do the job now than they were five years ago, and that there is not enough field work, monitoring and assessment."

It also found that, "current workloads do not allow permit and monitoring systems to work effectively. Only 2 percent give a "good" rating to B.C.'s permit and monitoring systems. None rate it as "very effective". More than half 53 percent call it "poor", while 35 percent say it is "not at all effective", for a combined negative rating of 88 percent. The survey was conducted by sending 1,600 questionnaires to MELP staff; out of which 252 (16 percent) were returned and analyzed.

A copy of the report based on the survey can be obtained from Cliff Stainsby, Senior Researcher, British Columbia Government Employees' Union, 2994 Douglas Street, Victoria, B.C. V8T 4N4, ph. (250) 388-9948, fax (250) 384-8060, 1 800 667- 1033, E-mail mail@bcgeu.bc.ca , Website http://www.bcgeu.bc.ca/contact.html.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Weird.... the Liberals never reinstated the funding or jobs.
    Last edited by Whonnock Boy; 04-14-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Weird.... the Liberals never reinstated the funding or jobs.
    Gordon Campbell campaigned on a platform of budget cuts. Naturally, more Crown agents were not hired.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

So...out of curioustity....
    If my local "liberal MLA" knocks at the door, and I ask them the same question....and they say they are personally
    against hunting....then what???

You can see where I am going here....no????

Sometimes we hunters are our own worse enemy....
    I had a feeling the GBear hunting was coming to an end at some point.
    All the media over the years...
    The lack of LEH tags being introduced, even though GBear #'s were up again from years ago...
    Yet, no new tags or seasons???
    And then....what was the worse thing we hunter's did to contribute to the fall of GBear hunting is....
    "Not packing the meat out with us"!
    Hell, could have taken it home at least and then 'bury it", if one does not really want to consume it.....(just saying).
    At least it would have looked better in the general non hunter public eyes!
    I have many friends who do not hunt...yet support me and my hunting rights.....BUT....
    They don't support shooting an animal just for bone and hide!
    By doing that, We Hunters "LOSE SUPPORT" from many in the general public.

You don't have to like my statement, you may totally disagree with my opinion, BUT, it is what has cuased this
    to happen...oh, and then some of the stupid video's hunters post online to add more fire to the cause.
    (I know bad happens out there, and I know clean kills happen as well...but if it goes real bad....keep it to yourself!)

It isn't going to matter who ya vote for....most of the time a party is successful if economic times are good...and if
    it's crap....so is the party involved at the time.
    Oil at 30 - 50$ a barrel is going to make any party look bad!
    And if most of the revenue for a province comes from oil, and that dries up...well of course they are going to ask the
    residents of the province to buck up!....and yes...it is a double whammy for those in the province....should you have
    expected less.
    All I can say about Alberta..."Welcome to BC!"....without the oil revenue...you will pay higher taxes...period and real simple!

No matter which party someone votes for, don't expect Wolf Culls, don't expect any real funding to enhancements projects....
    Expect a ban on Gbear somewhere down the road (it's coming one day) and expect more reduction in season's and
    Limits in LEH....
    That's the road we've been down now for years, and it will just continue....

Liberals may be better for BC Residents, but, as for Hunters....it doesn't natter which way you swing.....
    Any other party will not be any different as well on that matter.
    Say what you all want.

on the topic of having to retreive meat from grizz bears, if it is "it must be brought to a domicile or butcher" then the GO's will be on board but if it is "it must be brought to your own home" (like to the USA or other foriegn country ) then the GO's will not be on board IMHO..

which way would you support? of the two meat retention options?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Basicly we are F ed in one way or another no matter who we vote for

I will vote Lib so I can afford to go hunting and we are less likely to loose hunts. Are they the best people for the job hell no but the other options are worse

Hunting wise at least the Libs are talking about improving management and funding
    Question
    why did it take till now to improve the management this has been on going for the last 10 years it got to a point that it is so bad it has to be addressed I like what a gentleman said on here time to have a seperate lobbying group for the people of BC and we need to fund it to lobby for each individual hunter that wants to hunt in BC for the future and we to set this up quickly in order to succeed
    Last edited by bigben; 04-15-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    bigben

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    So, just had George Heyman of the NDP here.
    Obviously, he asked what my concerns were, and which way I may be voting etc.

Told him a big concern is what we have been talking about on this forum over the past few years.
    He said that he was on the Enviroment side of the NDP party (I guess that means he would be a
    potential "environment minister" pick if the NDP won???)

Anyways, he said he would want all money from hunting licenses to go back into the environment etc.
    He said he was "NOT" against "wolf culls", although that may not make him well liked by many voters, which we could all understand if we were trying to be elected.
    Also said that they would like to give us, the resident hunters, back the allocations that we lost to the
    GOABC.

That the only thing they (NDP) didn't support was "trophy grizz hunting", but that they do support
    "hunting for food".
    Honestly, I never really was for killing something unless you "packed it out".
    (meaning, a bear just for the rug, has never really interested me, unless, it was to manage a predator control issue in areas where it is needed)

So...what to think....am I being "bullshitted"???
    Sounds like he knew some stuff and the issues......(although he had "no knowledge" of this hunting forum.....which makes me wonder "how much of a voice do BC Resident Hunters have??)

Oh, one last thing, he said he would support a "Oil Refinery" here in the province.
    Something I personally think we need in BC (actually in a few places), rather then shipping it "Raw".

So...thoughts???....let it rip!
    One of the things you could have pointed out is that the Grizzly hunt, although a trophy hunt, is also an important management tool as they do impact moose, caribou, deer, and other populations. You could have also pointed out that it's probably the most heavily watch and regulated hunt in North America if not the world. Nothing wrong with taking the animal for the hide in a controlled environment as I'm sure most trappers would agree.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    on the topic of having to retreive meat from grizz bears, if it is "it must be brought to a domicile or butcher" then the GO's will be on board but if it is "it must be brought to your own home" (like to the USA or other foriegn country ) then the GO's will not be on board IMHO..

which way would you support? of the two meat retention options?
    The definition of "place of consumption" is outlined in the regs. I certainly understand the sentiment of those that advocate taking the meat to placate the anti's. But honestly, that's not what the hunt is about. It's a trophy hunt and people shouldn't be ashamed of that when its conducted in the manner it is. It's heavily regulated, it provides benefits to bear research and game management, and it's conducted using means that are humane. That and nothing goes to waste in the bush.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I completely disagree. It's wildlife management, and the sooner we as hunters change our mindset on that, the sooner we can convince the masses of what it is. Respectfully....

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    It's a trophy hunt
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    One of the things you could have pointed out is that the Grizzly hunt, although a trophy hunt, is also an important management tool as they do impact moose, caribou, deer, and other populations. You could have also pointed out that it's probably the most heavily watch and regulated hunt in North America if not the world. Nothing wrong with taking the animal for the hide in a controlled environment as I'm sure most trappers would agree.

Actually...that's what I told Heyman at the door.....
    GBear hunts are not just trophy hunting...but...predator control...population balance...or whatever term is best applied.
    That's why "Wolf Culling" was in my 1st few posts with him.
    Something he said he understood/supported...but nothing he wants to "shout out to loudly" publicly...due to public outcry.
    (that I can understand...he is running for office....and votes count....I wouldn't be screaming it out during a campaign
    either, although I would agree to culling at meetings).
    Last edited by Bugle M In; 04-15-2017 at 10:37 PM.