Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moose region 6

Re: Moose region 6

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted but if my calculations are correct LEH authorisations for regions 6.8 and 6.4 have been reduced by 56%/88% but 6.9 reduced by .03%

Wonder if it is wolf related? should be a bounty put on wolves. The wolves are probably threatening the 4 caribou left in 6.9...............................

IMO The open season should be canned and the LEH left alone or increased.
    it was a demand in increased harvest rates by FN not wolves. This came right from the local club meetings from the MOE
    Last edited by Darksith; 04-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    it was a demand in increased harvest rates by FN not wolves. This came right from the local club meetings from the MOE
    Are they being told to harvest Bulls only? If not, why did we lose resident "Bull only LEH" . An increase in demand by FN's will not result in more moose for everyone? Let's be honest, Who seriously thinks they will be passing up Cows and Calves close to the road in December to find a bull?? I for one don't think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
    We hunt 6-06 and last season ( 2016 ) they reduced the Tags to 1 Bull per LEH season , so 3 bulls only , We thought it was a Mistake but the game branch and wild life biologist in Burns Lake said no thats the way it is , I asked about the Guide in the area if he was effected , and they said no the !!!! Guide was NOT effected by the reduction !!!! So we can all thank the Clarke GOVT , GOABC and their big contributor Safari Club Inter, for taking away the Tags from the residents of this province , I hope all Hunters in the province rally togthier to kik the Clarke Govt, and their game allocation policies out , And First Nations we see them in the Area Pitt lamping at Night , shooting cows calfs etc , and they call themself's enviromentilists and shepards of the land !!
    Exactly, stewards of the land no more...their ancestors would be sickened by the way they harvest wildlife...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Unregulated is an issue but it goes beyond one group. No lack of idiots using loopholes to poach and a crap load of stuff I am not going to type. Education could be effective if people or open to it.

Huge amount of access and increases non stop with the amount of logging. Than add in a huge network of main FSR that would never be deactivated do to recsite access and industry use. Deactivation would be a very expensive and years to impact.

Multiple issues would need to be addressed and crossing fingers that Mother Nature plays nice in the winter for a few years
    Yes.winter.is.definitely.the.bottleneck.for.surviv al,but.if.spur.roads.are.deactivated,and.deactivat ed.well,it.will.help.bigtime...

a couple things to add:

1. surveys did show a reduction on total population two (I think) years ago. That would mean a reduction in AAH.
    2. over time, residents have harvested more moose in the bow season and in the GOS. Largely due to more hunter effort.

A reduced AAH, and hunters having more success, means that something has to be reduced to balance out. And I think the guides just took a reduction in their quota.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordillera View Post
    a couple things to add:

1. surveys did show a reduction on total population two (I think) years ago. That would mean a reduction in AAH.
    2. over time, residents have harvested more moose in the bow season and in the GOS. Largely due to more hunter effort.

A reduced AAH, and hunters having more success, means that something has to be reduced to balance out. And I think the guides just took a reduction in their quota.
    If surveys showed there was a reduction in population years ago why wasn't AAH changed years ago? Guides were not cut back years ago either.

I do believe surveys show success rate is down but your saying more have been harvested in Open Season and Bow hunt? Something isn't adding up here

Lots of issues for sure beyond wolves - last year was really bad for ticks, found a couple dead on my property. train kill is high, illegal hunting etc.

But when you have wolves killing dogs on the xcountry ski trails in Smithers.....................
    6'8 has a high wolf population, lots of farmers shooting them on their property.

plus the elk population is exploding.

IMO the government should be spending some that money used to try and save the few introduced caribou in the Telkwas on moose/deer studies
    hunting is an excuse to get outside and fill the freezer

With region 6 moose the issues need to be properly identified(even though some are plain as day) and steps taken to correct them not just reduce hunter harvest.

The question is will the govt have the parts to admit what all the issues are and address them or pussy foot around them to try not to offend the public or industry?

It is plain to see they way things are now is not working

I was up there in 6-6 helping some buddies in 2015 and in the 10 days I was there, we saw one bull but not shootable. I had to leave to go back to work, but they persisted and eventually got one each, but they had to invest nearly another week to do that. Saw one guide with a client and lots of resident hunters. The only FN folks I met were seeding a deactivated road with grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
    We hunt 6-06 and last season ( 2016 ) they reduced the Tags to 1 Bull per LEH season , so 3 bulls only , We thought it was a Mistake but the game branch and wild life biologist in Burns Lake said no thats the way it is , I asked about the Guide in the area if he was effected , and they said no the !!!! Guide was NOT effected by the reduction !!!! So we can all thank the Clarke GOVT , GOABC and their big contributor Safari Club Inter, for taking away the Tags from the residents of this province , I hope all Hunters in the province rally togthier to kik the Clarke Govt, and their game allocation policies out , And First Nations we see them in the Area Pitt lamping at Night , shooting cows calfs etc , and they call themself's enviromentilists and shepards of the land !!

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    With region 6 moose the issues need to be properly identified(even though some are plain as day) and steps taken to correct them not just reduce hunter harvest.

The question is will the govt have the parts to admit what all the issues are and address them or pussy foot around them to try not to offend the public or industry?

It is plain to see they way things are now is not working
    good post WO

and this is exactly why we all need to have our voice heard, rather then sitting on our hands thinking all is well or will be and doing nothing. Everyone needs to speak up, young and old.

This is is not just a region 6 issue. It's province wide.