Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose region 6

Re: Moose region 6

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Can the Open Season? Why not just shorten it? To 3 or 4 days. They've shortened it in the past. If we lose it it will never come back. And you've said more LEH, which sounds great, but they will never give us the number of LEH to harvest our AAH. We are losing a lot this year. And if my guess is right the Ministry is just using the FN's to push their own agenda...

Region 6 is bull only harvest. So ask yourself this. Are region 6 moose numbers down or Bull to Cow ratio down?
    Cutting back LEH licenced hunters will only increase Bull numbers and the Cows and Calves that have been disappearing to Wolf and FN harvest will continue to disappeare...
    agree a loss of the GOS in exchange for LEH is not a positive and will not solve a thing

I don't know what the harvest estimates are for southern region 6 last few seasons but if my memory is correct the were lower than many 7a MUs in past years. I don't see the GOS in southern 6 being an issue in moose decline. This is a short season and with the limited number of hunting days it lowers success rate. And like mentioned above no regulated female harvest.

This will do nothing to improve cow numbers that are noticeably down.

People need to take in the Fed's town hall meetings. There is no use in pointing fingers at any one group be it guides, first nations or ourselves. The finger needs to be pointed at our governments. For the last 50 years there has been virtually no increase in fish and wildlife budgets. No sound management plans or strategies put in place for fish, wildlife or habitat for decades. Here in the region 4 we have not hunted mule deer does or fawns for 20 years, yet there has been no signifcate increase in there population since the die off in 96-97. Unless we start letting our politicians know that these issues are important to us, what you are seeing up there will become all to common place in the next ten years through out the province. We as individuals need to start making politicians and other user groups aware of what is happening to fish and wildlife and ther habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz59 View Post
    People need to take in the Fed's town hall meetings. There is no use in pointing fingers at any one group be it guides, first nations or ourselves. The finger needs to be pointed at our governments. For the last 50 years there has been virtually no increase in fish and wildlife budgets. No sound management plans or strategies put in place for fish, wildlife or habitat for decades. Here in the region 4 we have not hunted mule deer does or fawns for 20 years, yet there has been no signifcate increase in there population since the die off in 96-97. Unless we start letting our politicians know that these issues are important to us, what you are seeing up there will become all to common place in the next ten years through out the province. We as individuals need to start making politicians and other user groups aware of what is happening to fish and wildlife and ther habitat.

No TH meeting in region 6 wish there was

Think you can get the presentation on their website. Amazing how little our governments have done in the last four decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz59 View Post
    Our bios are more concerned about saving the Telkwa Caribou than our Moose or Deer in 6 08/6 09. And protecting the Elk heard. (Which are taking over Any Caribou winter range that is left in the Valley) Yet they won't admit that a reduction in predators will save them. They rather collar wolves then kill them... How much money has been wasted on them? Absolute money pit! HCTF money also.

I think the user groups (FN's, Residents and guides) could come up with a great harvest plan that they all could agree on without government. All they seem to create is tension between the groups.

We hunt 6-06 and last season ( 2016 ) they reduced the Tags to 1 Bull per LEH season , so 3 bulls only , We thought it was a Mistake but the game branch and wild life biologist in Burns Lake said no thats the way it is , I asked about the Guide in the area if he was effected , and they said no the !!!! Guide was NOT effected by the reduction !!!! So we can all thank the Clarke GOVT , GOABC and their big contributor Safari Club Inter, for taking away the Tags from the residents of this province , I hope all Hunters in the province rally togthier to kik the Clarke Govt, and their game allocation policies out , And First Nations we see them in the Area Pitt lamping at Night , shooting cows calfs etc , and they call themself's enviromentilists and shepards of the land !!

good post Machinist you nailed it
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Really makes me pissy

6 06 is no doubt an area with problems of abuse and drop in moose numbers. Sightings, cam pics and moose sign are down all year not just during hunting season. You actually did good seeing 3 bulls on your hunt. Moose are around still but numbers are not even close to 5years ago.

I would not stress about the GO from what I hear success rate has been low and if I remember right outfit is up for sale or considering selling. His allocation may not of changed but it is not getting filled either.

I believe there is a number of reasons numbers are down. It is the lack of cows compared to the past that has me concerned. Unfortunately I know for a fact many locals are pushing for less LEH and closing of the GOS. Too bad they are not looking at the fact this will do nothing for numbers and will not increase the cow numbers

I would not concern about the GO a lot bigger issues and Local RH are pushing for restriction more than anyone

If Ministry started managing Wolves there would be more Moose for Guides, Residents and FN's.